This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

This week, I really wanted to focus on the importance of taking your mental health seriously. I think we all have times where we tend to get stuck in a rut or a negative mindset. I realized that when I started acknowledging that my feelings were valid and that I needed to help myself, I became a lot more aware of my surroundings and the way I should feel. 

Something that has been an important attribution to my mental health journey is the essence of positivity. I’ve always been a very free-spirited, uplifting person. It can be wonderful but can also be a major downfall at times. I am a people pleaser, and when I’m not making someone else happy, I’m extremely hard on myself. It’s important to remember that yes, we should be positive, but not always take the weight off of someone else’s back and replace it for our own. We can provide safety and support, but should not sacrifice our self-love if we don’t have enough to give. I could go on and on about “self-love” but that’s not what this article is about. Your journey with self-love is never-ending, but most important is finding freedom from being self-limiting. Vulnerability is a huge aspect. It is terrifying battling with your own mind. What you have to remember is mental illness is a flaw in chemistry, not character. We always have the power to change our mindset. Don’t feel guilty that you can’t be there for others if you can’t put yourself first.

It’s also important to surround yourself with people who support and motivate you, but you must not depend on these people for mental strength. You have to help yourself first, but it’s great to have a support group. It’s also important to acknowledge if you are in a dark place that your feelings are always valid. You will not grow or help your so-called “journey” if you don’t let yourself feel. All in all, never forget to put your mental health first, then you can conquer everything else.

Hello Everyone! My name is Marisa and I attend the College Of Charleston. I am a Biology major pursuing a pre-med track. I'm a huge advocate for us females supporting one another! I'm very passionate about music and food. I love a good sunset and I'm always down for a little adventure. I'm excited to share my thoughts and experiences and am thrilled to read your articles and seek inspiration!