This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

I’ve wanted a cat since I was a kid, and my parents, being dog people, have always shut me down. So now that I’m a sophomore in college, I thought it was the perfect time to finally adopt a cat of my own. And I did! I finally have a black cat named Muffin, and he’s the absolute best already. Here are some reasons you should consider getting one for yourself. 

Adoption Rates

Black cats are the least likely cat to get adopted due to the old superstition that they’re bad luck and an omen of death. While that theory is widely popular in our culture, many others actually see black cats as symbols of good fortune. Either way, bad luck is not a valid reason to leave these perfect cats out without giving them a second look! 

Death Rates

They’re way more likely to be euthanized by pounds. And strays are more likely to be killed on days like Halloween or a Friday the 13th if they cross the wrong person’s path. 

Halloween

Black cats are a Halloween staple, and the best way to showcase your love for the holiday is to adopt your very own black cat. They’re the best Halloween accessory, and they make you feel the Halloween spirit throughout the whole year. Bonus points if you name it after an icon from a classic Halloween movie. 

They’re So Loveable 

Due to COVID and the holidays, I’ve moved back in with my parents and had to bring Muffin back with me. You might think my parents would hate that I brought my cat back since they were very against me getting a cat for so many years, but I think they’re just as obsessed with him as I am. That’s the power of a black cat! 

Matching 

Lastly, black cats go with everything. No matter what outfit or aesthetic you’re going for, your black cat will never clash.​ What a great best friend! 

I’d highly encourage everyone looking into adopting a cat to at least give black cats a chance! They’re no different than other cats in terms of love, fun, and companionship. You could save that black cat’s life! 

my only personality trait is being a swiftie