This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

As Bryce Vine says in his iconic song, You’re the next Drew Barry and I want more…

You’ll be feeling the exact same way after you read Wildflower by Drew Barrymore, an autobiography that she wrote and published in 2015. As if it isn’t enough to see the extremely talented actress all over television and film growing up, you’ll be totally fangirling when you hear her life story. Drew Barrymore has been popping up in media we’ve seen our entire lives. 50 First Dates and Santa Clarita Diet and Charlie’s Angels just to name a few.

Drew Barrymore grew up in a disadvantaged home in West Hollywood, where her mother made her start auditioning for parts in commercials before she was even a one year old. Before she know it, she was landing big-ticket roles in E.T. and Poltergeist. It wasn’t all glitz and glam for the young star. She struggled with feeling instability in her own life, due to her mother’s disappearances and her father’s complete absence. Many child stars like Barrymore experienced a similar feeling of growing up to fast. She was sucked into the working world before she even had a childhood and that had an effect on her aging process for the rest of her life.

I strive to be like Drew Barrymore. Even though she grew up in draining life circumstances, she has still managed to accomplish more than I ever could. Barrymore has been in 51 different movies. Including favorites, like Never Been Kissed, He’s Just Not That Into You, and Donnie Darko.

Drew created her own production and beauty line both called Flower. Her makeup line emphasizes expressing your unique charm and being inclusive to everyone. Drew has traveled all over the world and has managed to raise two daughters and prides herself on being a very involved mother. Drew started her own school in Kenya and continues to support the World Food Program. On top of that, she wrote and published her book, Wildflower. Despite all these incredible achievements, Barrymore remains humble and relatable.

Reading about her ups and downs and all the instances in which she felt lost, made me realize that everyone experiences these moments at times. The celebrities may seem perfect on the screen but up close they are not any different than us. At age 14, Drew was washed up and emancipated working at a coffee shop and people said she would never act again. At that time who knew she’d end up being a household name with a blossoming career? Drew Barrymore is as real as a celebrity gets and continues to have a positive attitude which is portrayed in everything that she produces. If you want to learn more about Drew Barrymore and her less than typical life experiences I recommend you read her book and watch as she guides you through the whirlwind adventures that is her life.

Hey, I'm Jessie and I'm a Creative Writing Major at the College of Charleston. I'm a junior from the amazing DC area and I love traveling, the outdoors, music, and coffee. I'm a book fiend, literally it's a problem, and in my free time you can find me with my nose in any book I can get my hands on. Or at Buxton Books in Downtown Charleston where I'm employed. Writing is my passion and I love writing dark angry poetry and fun short stories.