Why Pride and Prejudice (2005) Is the Best Movie Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Pride and Prejudice (2005) is an iconic masterpiece. If you somehow haven’t had the chance to watch this movie (what are you doing?), Pride and Prejudice is an adaptation of Jane Austen’s book by the same title that was published in 1813. It is centered around protagonist Elizabeth Bennet and her family, with the bulk of the movie about Elizabeth slowly falling in love with the brooding but ridiculously rich Mr. Darcy. 

It is my comfort movie for so many reasons, which is why I felt compelled to share just some of the reasons that make it the most perfect film. So without further ado, here is why it is arguably the best movie ever:

1. The Opening Scene

There’s something about this opening scene that makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside. I can’t really explain it. I love the soundtrack, I love the cinematography, I love it all. I also adore how it perfectly introduces the audience to the chaotic but lovable family dynamic between the Bennets.

2. The soundtrack

Sometimes, movie soundtracks don’t add much to the overall experience, but Pride and Prejudice’s soundtrack truly takes it to the next level. In particular, “Dawn” and “Liz On Top Of The World” are standouts. Gotta give major props to Jean-Yves Thibaudet on this one.

3. Kiera Knightly

I honestly don’t know how Kiera Knightly has been in every period piece known to man, but there is a reason. She is so amazing in this movie and I think she embodies the character of Elizabeth perfectly. She’s an icon, she’s a legend, and she is the moment.

4. The Hand Flex Scene

I think every person who has seen this movie thinks about this scene on the daily.  I could probably watch a whole video essay on the nuances of this particular sequence. Though it could be overlooked by an audience-goer, the hand flex represents the slow-burn romantic dynamic between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy perfectly. Simple, but effective. 

5. “You have bewitched me, body and soul”

I don’t think I’m alone when I say that this is probably one of the most romantic professions of love in cinematic history. Mr. Darcy emerging from the morning mist to confess his affections for Elizabeth is swoon-worthy and simply iconic. I would like this scene tattooed on my brain, please.

Sophia Brown

C of C '25

Psychology major and student-athlete at the College of Charleston. Passionate peanut butter enthusiast.