Why “Percy Jackson” Should Be Apart of the School Curriculum

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

I remember being introduced to Percy Jackson when I was in the fifth grade by my teacher, Ms. Johnson. She read us a chapter every day and from the first page, I was hooked. I ran to the library, checked out the entire series, and read all of them within the week. By the time I left elementary school, I had memorized most myths from Greek mythology, could quote any chapter from the first book, and convinced my friends that I was a demigod. Nothing left an impact on me like Percy Jackson ever did. Looking back as a college student, I realized just how much kids could benefit from this series compared to other books that teachers are required to read. While my fifth-grade teacher is still reading the books to her current students, this is why others should encourage kids to read the Percy Jackson series.

A Fun Narrative

Anyone who has read the series knows how hilarious and relatable Percy Jackson is. The first series is set from the first-person perspective of a young boy who is just trying to survive middle school and the abundance of monsters trying to attack him. The character is sarcastic and often confused about what’s going on around him, however, he’s also super protective of his friends and is doing his best to save the world. With fun chapter titles like “I Become Supreme Lord of the Bathroom” and “We Get Advice from a Poodle”, it attracts the attention of even the most stubborn of readers. The point of view from Percy Jackson makes the series an easy and fun time for kids who usually get bored from reading.

Greek Mythology

One of the main aspects of the series is that the Greek myths that we’ve read from the Iliad and the Odyssey are true. Greek gods and goddesses like Hermes and Aphrodite are real, and they have kids and there are Greek monsters trying to kill them. Because Percy Jackson is new to the knowledge of Greek mythology, he’s left asking questions and being filled in during a battle or quest. As Percy is learning about the world around him, the reader is also learning about mythology. The other of the series, Rick Riordan, also has different series involving different mythologies, like Eygptian and Norse, so young readers are introduced to a variety of stories from all over the world.

Dyslexia and ADHD

One of the qualities that all demigods have is that they all are diagnosed with dyslexia and ADHD. Their brains are hardwired for reading ancient Greek and to always be on the move whenever they need to fight. This series actually introduced me and my classmates to what learning disabilities were and it became normalized to us. When a classmate got diagnosed with ADHD later on in the year, everyone became jealous because we all thought he would come out as a demigod. Normalizing learning disabilities is the key to having kids get a better education.

Complex Characters

Another thing that sets the Percy Jackson series apart from others is how complex all of the characters’ backgrounds are, from the main characters to even some of the lesser background characters. Percy Jackson is a troubled kid who bounces from school to school. He was raised by a single mother who married an awful man who is hinted at being physically abusive. Another main character, Annabeth Chase, was a child runaway after her father and stepmother neglected her existence and she was basically raised by the training camp. The main antagonist, Luke Castellan, only rebelled because he was angry that his godly father abandoned him and his sick mother. Not only are there complex personalities, but there’s also a whole diversity of characters, especially when getting into the second series. It’s important for kids to have heroes that they can identify with, and Rick Riordan gives us that and more.

Percy Jackson has been a character that many of us who were young readers grew up with. For me, this series was what got me into reading, writing, and mythology. While people may argue that their childhood book series should be a part of a school curriculum, I know my fifth-grade class was changed just for a little bit. We all read more books. We wrote better for our creative writing classes. We paid more attention to our ancient history lessons.

The Percy Jackson series has a little something for everyone so that they can enjoy the books and can possibly gain something, whether it makes them a better reader or interested in mythology. Either way, it’s something that people of all ages can sit and enjoy. So I highly recommend that the Percy Jackson series be read, because, at the end of the day, nothing is better than a funny kid on a quest with his best friends.  

Erin Cody

C of C '23

Hey y’all! My name is Erin Cody and I’m a criminal psychology major from College of Charleston! A few things about me is that I’m a huge true crime fan, I love a good ghost story or conspiracy theory, and I’m doing my best to make Elle Woods proud!