This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

The questions we have all been asked at least a million times as college students. “What’s your major? Why’d you choose it? What do you plan on doing with that after you graduate?”  If you’re a psych major yourself or not yet declared, don’t fret! Here are my responses to all of those questions and how I’m navigating through the pressures of those answers as a junior.

As an indecisive person, having to figure out what I want to do for the rest of my life is a very stressful decision to say the least. However, there are a few things I have always known about myself. I’m an observer, a listener, and someone who’s always enjoyed comforting others. When going over the list of questions and interests teachers gave me before I started college to help me decide on a major, my mind always wondered towards one thing: I want to make a difference in the world. Even if I can help just one person, I would feel like I served my life’s purpose. I want to connect with people and I want everyone to know that I am someone they can always come to. I want those who are struggling to know they are never alone. When I sat back and thought about all of these things, I realized psychology was the perfect fit for me.

Photo by Dan Meyers

In high school, my favorite course was psychology. It was the one class I was truly interested in and fully tuned into. The human brain is the most complex organ in the body and there is so much I have learned, and have yet to learn about it. To understand why people react the way they do or commit crimes or feel a certain way are all questions we ask as a society. Finding the answers to these questions gives us all a better understanding of one another.  We are all human beings yet we differ in so many ways. Understanding the science behind this and learning some of the reasons why people do what they do can lead to better human connection and increase our empathy towards one another. Those are two things that our world could greatly benefit from today.

Photo by Tim Marshall

So what do I plan on doing with this psychology degree after I graduate? The truth is that I don’t know yet! Being a junior and someone who likes to plan everything, it is hard for me to say that. However, I realize psychology is a very general degree that can be used in so many different fields. These include working with law as a criminal psychologist, being a counselor, teaching, working with children, working in hospitals, and so much more. The possibilities are truly endless and that is both comforting and terrifying. One thing I do know is that experience is the best teacher and the College of Charleston is the best place to obtain that! There are so many opportunities here to take advantage of in the psychology department and I have only touched the surface. It’s difficult to know how you’ll like something without being in that environment, so I hope to gain valuable experience here and narrow down my interests. For my fellow psych majors that are in the same boat as me, some clubs/organizations that are offered here that can be very useful include the Cougar Counseling team, Best Buddies, and Psychology Club! I hope to take advantage of as many opportunities as I can. Learning different skills from each one will give me an idea of which path I want to pursue in the future.

Photo by Jen Lelie

Overall, I really am looking forward to not only learning more about my degree but also about myself as I grow as a person and find out exactly where I want to be. It will be interesting to look back one day and remember how I was feeling right now. I know that I am going to find my place in the psychology department, and I hope to say one day during my career that I made an impact.  Deciding what you want to do for the rest of your life is no easy decision, but every small step towards your desired goal is important. Remember that there’s nothing wrong with living in the moment while still looking out for your future self.

GIf by Giphy.com

For more information about psychology and other majors check out the great resources the Career Center has to offer here on campus!

Hi, my name is Samantha! I am a senior here at the College of Charleston and am majoring in psychology. My interests include music, beauty, fitness, good food, and the city of Charleston!