This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Almost every single day I ask myself why I’m still in college. Why am I paying all of this tuition for something I am not passionate about at all? Emphasis on the “at all”. I’ve never been excited about school – except for recess in elementary school, duh. Oh, and also buying so many snacks in the cafeteria. My mom eventually stopped putting money in the lunch fund when she realized all I ate every day was popcorn and a chocolate eclair ice cream bar. (If you ate the strawberry one, we can’t be friends, sorry.)

Am I the only one who thinks this? I hope not. I have zero interest in paying money to take humanities and general education credits such as music, theater, astronomy, history and more. Why am I paying all this money to go to a class I despise? Let me be honest, I used to just not go because I hated it that much. Sitting in my history class for an hour and fifteen minutes was comparable to getting a cavity filled. You know when they take the drill and it makes the worst noise ever? Yes, that is how I felt in history. 

I am an English major, but I don’t even know how that will help me when applying to future jobs. I am passionate about so many different things that I really don’t need a college degree for. Maybe I will write for online publications? Betches, please hire me. Maybe I’ll get my real estate license and work for a residential company selling houses? Maybe I’ll create my own vaginal product line? Or maybe none of the above. 

Do you see what I mean now when I say I don’t really need to sit in astronomy for these jobs? My parents always tell me that I just have to check the box on the job application that says I have my Bachelor’s Degree. I know they’re right, so I power through with mainly B’s, but it is like pulling teeth for me to finish each semester. 

My professors also think my life revolves around each and every one of their classes. Reality check, students have other sh*t going on. I work two jobs, have an internship and am a full-time student, so I am sorry if I couldn’t go to the event for extra credit. 

Please tell me I am not alone on this. If so, I think I will just attend a couple more therapy sessions.

Oh, and Mom– it’s okay, I’m not dropping out.

Hey, my name is Molly! I am a Senior at the College of Charleston and am majoring in English. I am from Saratoga Springs, NY, but absolutely love the warm weather here! I spend most of my time nannying or reading Betches.