This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Two years ago, I would’ve fought so hard to dispel any rumors that I enjoyed the music of one Taylor Swift. Look, she had some bops in years past, but I was over the drama.

After the release of the music video for “Bad Blood”, my childhood love affair with the pop sensation died in a fiery explosion. I became exhausted with the juvenile controversy that was surrounded by Katy Perry and the Kimye situation. Oh god, I don’t even want to get into that garbage. I had enough of my own high school drama going on because I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL.

Slowly I have been warming back up to the pop star. I found “You Need to Calm Down” very refreshing and just a gosh darn good time. All the guys from Queer Eye were in it and everything was pink.

But then, this past Friday I dedicated an hour and twenty-five minutes of my life to watch Miss Americana on Netflix. I really hate to admit it, but I think I’m a full-blown Swifty Stan. I also listened to the full album of Lover like every day this fall. So, while I’m out here admitting things I’m deeply ashamed of: we’re both Sagittarius and that’s very exciting to me.

For me, the most important moment of the whole documentary was in the last ten minutes. She spends the film figuring out her voice in politics, writing an album and showing a fresh perspective on all that drama. But in those last ten minutes, there’s a clip where she’s going off about the engrained patriarchal systems that are engrained in our brains as women and then she apologizes. She immediately takes it back and she and the producer commiserate about how women are programmed to make themselves smaller in whatever capacity that relates to their own life.

I usually like to keep it pretty light when I write my articles but this one just hit home. To all you girls out there, be loud and bold in your own unique way and don’t apologize for it. Now I’m sure I’ll end up apologizing like five times tomorrow for garbage I didn’t even do. But the next day I’m going to strive to make it four, and that’s what I call progress.

Kathryn Collins is a Sophomore at the College of Charleston this year. She is majoring in arts management with a minor in creative writing. She loves traveling, watching terrible movies, eating brunch and other fancy lady activities. Instagram: @katiecollins_7