Why Angelina Jolie’s op-ed in the New York Times is Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

The New York Times recently published an op-ed written by famous Hollywood actress Angelina Jolie in which the actress revealed her recent oophorectomy, which is a surgical removal of the ovaries.  Though this operation has severe consequences, such as no longer being able to bear children and early onset menopause, for Mrs. Jolie-Pitt, it may have more benefits.

It is no secret that the Maleficent actress has a double mastectomy just two years ago in order to prevent hereditary breast cancer.  She explains that the reason for her preventative operations is that she carries a mutation called the BRCA1 gene, which gives her an 87 percent risk of breast cancer, and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer.  She has also lost many female family members, including her aunt, her mother, and her grandmother, to cancer. 

Her story begins with a regular blood test, which Jolie explains that she does annually, as a result of her family’s health history.  The result of this test prompted her doctor to inform her that there were some “inflammatory markers” which could have been a sign of early cancer.  Here, her narrative becomes more personal, as she recounts the story, not of a Hollywod actress or renowned celebrity, but of a woman who has just been informed of a life-changing diagnosis.  After the news, Jolie called her husband, actor Brad Pitt, who then boarded a plane back home from France.  Despite the stress of the situation, Jolie writes, “The beautiful thing about such moments in life is that there is so much clarity.  You know what you live for and what matters.  It is polarizing, and it is peaceful”  (Jolie-Pitt, 2015). 

Jolie explains that her reason behind writing the editorial: “I wanted other women at risk to know about the options. I promised to follow up with any information that could be useful” (Jolie-Pitt, 2015).  The actress informs her readers of the dramatic side-effects of the procedure, despite the simplicity of the operation itself, and furthermore informs them of other options.  Jolie explains that not all women who have the BRCA mutation need to take such drastic measures.  She explains that such a problem can be solved with something as simple as birth control pills.  Jolie, and the many experts with which she discussed the matter, agreed that surgery was the best option, given not only the mutation she possessed, but also the fact that 3 women in her family had died of cancer previously. 

As a result of her actions, Jolie has greatly reduced her chance of getting cancer.  Though she is much more hopeful of her chances, the star remains realistic, knowing that nothing is 100 percent preventative, especially for something as elusive as cancer.  Furthermore, the removal of these body parts does not make the star feel like any less of a woman.  Jolie claims, “I feel feminine, and grounded in the choices I am making for myself and my family.  I know my children will never have to say, ‘Mom died of ovarian cancer’” (Jolie-Pitt, 2015).    Though the choices that she has had to make were far from easy, they were smart, calculated, and well-informed, and Jolie is asking that other women at risk of cancer take the same measures to make sure that they are doing what is right for them. 

Sources: Jolie Pitt, A. (2015, March 24). Angelina Jolie Pitt: Diary of a Surgery. The New York Times. Retrieved March 25, 2015, from http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/24/opinion/angelina-jolie-pitt-diary-of-a…

(Image 1)

Alex is a sophomore in the Honors College at the College of Charleston.  She majors in English with a concentration in creative writing.  In her spare time, she enjoys writing poetry, fiction, and songs, reading, drinking her own body weight in coffee and tea, playing guitar, singing, and enjoying the great outdoors!