This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Mars is the planet of aggression, passion, and assertiveness. On your birth chart, you can find out what your Mars placement is by checking to see what sign was in Mars at the time you were born. The Mars placement is a little different from other planet placements because it is the strongest indicator of your approach to sex and relationships — making it one of the best to analyze! The Mars placement is a fun way to examine your personality from a different angle, especially with some early 2000s movie favorites.   

Mars in Aries: Heather, “John Tucker Must Die”

If your Mars placement is in Aries, you like to jump headfirst into everything. “Do now, think later” is your motto. When you see an opportunity, you just go full-steam ahead with all you’ve got. Like Heather in John Tucker Must Die, you’re calm and collected while conquering all competition. Some people might say you’re hot-headed, but that can easily be confused with passion. You let your emotions be your driving force.

Mars in Taurus: Janis Ian, “Mean Girls”

The Mars placement in Taurus means you’re known for taking your time. You like to plot carefully before taking action, and when you do take action it’s often quick but powerful. Chances are you’ve been told you’re a little private or reserved, but there’s no shame in keeping your best ideas to yourself. Janis Ian is the same way — she carefully plots and plans her actions, and when she acts it’s fast and hard. She’s a little obsessive over her goals, but that’s just what motivates her into completing them. 

Mars in Gemini: Jenna Rink, “13 Going on 30” 

The Gemini Mars is known for a quick wit. You’re great in arguments, and you often know exactly what to say and how to say it. You’re also curious, and want to learn more about the people around you. Jenna in 13 Going On 30 has a sharp tongue and great ideas, just like a Mars Gemini. She knows her place and knows how to go about achieving her goals. 

Mars in Cancer: Kat Stratford, “10 Things I Hate About You”

If your Mars is in Cancer, you’re thoughtful, empathetic, and you really value a connection with someone. Like Kat in 10 Things I Hate About You, you’re smart and you know exactly what you’re looking for, even if it takes some time to find it. Kat is also a little bit shy and more reserved, which is something often found in Cancer Mars. 

Mars in Leo: Cady Heron, “Mean Girls”

Having a Mars sign in Leo means one thing: confidence. You are bold, maybe a little flashy, and you love to be in the spotlight. You might not consider yourself a self-centered person (which you probably aren’t), but the Mars in Leo means you know your worth. Like Cady in Mean Girls, this can sometimes take a little bit of a process but once you know, no one can tell you otherwise. This is a great attribute to have; you don’t let people push you around. Like Cady, you’re fearless and you like to take charge. 

Mars in Virgo: Elle Woods, “Legally Blonde”

This is the most analytical of the Mars placements. In Virgo, the Mars placement dictates how you go about work projects and relationships — with complete planning and accuracy. You usually don’t dive into things headfirst without planning it out beforehand, and when you do the results are usually in your favor. Elle Woods is just like this — she saw her goals and figured out exactly how she was going to achieve them. And she looked amazing while doing it.

Mars in Libra: Mia Thermopolis, “The Princess Diaries”

If you have your Mars in Libra, chances are you’re good at knowing how people perceive you and you keep your expectations grounded. Like Mia in The Princess Diaries, you know where you shine and you’re aware of the things you aren’t so good at. People love spending time with you because of your sweet nature, and you often find yourself in positions where you’re the center of attention. Even though Mia spends most of the movie being a little awkward, she’s still lovable and spunky. 

Mars in Scorpio: Sharpay Evans, “High School Musical” 

A Scorpio placement in Mars means two things: you’re good at what you do, and you know how to get what you want. You and Sharpay are one and the same: calculating, talented, and just a little self-centered. But there’s nothing wrong with that, especially when you have the skills to back it up. You can fixate on goals you want to accomplish, and when you’re focused you’re unstoppable.

Mars in Sagittarius: Jennifer Check, “Jennifer’s Body”

Having your Mars sign in Sagittarius means you’re usually brutally honest, a little bit mean, but all around powerful. Like Jennifer Check, you know what you want and you go for it — and it doesn’t matter what gets in your way. You’re motivated and passionate, making Megan Fox the perfect person to portray you. 

Mars in Capricorn: Carrie, “John Tucker Must Die”

If your Mars is in Capricorn, you are a force to be reckoned with. You are always in “go” mode, getting things done and using your power in the most productive ways. Carrie in John Tucker Must Die is the same way — tackling 10 projects at a time and doing it flawlessly. If there’s one thing you have in common, it’s your ambition.  

Mars in Aquarius: Anna, “Freaky Friday” 

The Aquarius Mars is known as the most rebellious and wild. You don’t always follow the rules, and when you do it’s most likely a pick-and-choose situation. Who better represents this attitude than Anna in Freaky Friday, the alt-rock early 2000s blueprint? She has the spunk, fire, and attitude of a Mars placement in Aquarius.

Mars in Pisces: Gretchen Weiners, “Mean Girls”

Having your Mars in Pisces means you’re dreamy, loyal, and just a little bit off the wall. You can easily read people’s emotions, which makes it easy for you to communicate with partners. Like Gretchen Weiners, you know a little something about everyone you know — and even though you can, you don’t always use this information for evil. 

Early Childhood Education | Psychology 4th year student at CofC, fan of cats, coffee, and New Girl