This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Love

I am living in Charleston and going to the college, and I keep seeing this strange occurrence whenever I escape the comfort of my apartment. At least every day I see an elderly couple who look to have been in love for years and are still so proud to be with each other.

*sitting at the park writing this article and an old couple rides by in one of those bike taxis. Not Joking!

What made that relationship the one? Were they each lucky enough to find their perfect soulmate out of the billions of people in the world? I don’t think so. Do you just meet someone and decide hey yeah they will do, and live happily ever after? Again, I don’t think so. Maybe you must choose to love that person each and every day.

This may sound cliché, but bear with me. What if finding your soulmate is like finding your home. Personally, I wake up every day with the desire to discover a new park, fountain, or well anything new to fall in love with about Charleston. Granted, it’s kind of easy because Charleston is beautiful. But no matter how magical a place is if you never discovered anything beyond your normal route then eventual the environment will grow tiresome. Maybe relationships are like that too. As in, rather than resting on what is obvious about a person or what you have in common learn what makes each other special.

It’s easy to grow comfortable, but isn’t adventure what life is all about? Why would people work as hard as they do if it weren’t to enjoy life? Find the adventure in your love story.

My past relationships were that of the passionate and quickly fading kind. Each ending was heartbreaking at the time, but now I see that they were inevitable. A bond between two people must be nourished and appreciated. Something that can be unimaginable at a young age. I thought love was “cute” when in reality it is a dedication.

Driving aimlessly around town one day, I drove past what seemed to be an apartment complex. I wouldn’t have thought twice about the spot if it weren’t for this small fountain that is beautiful in its simplicity. Like that apartment complex people have hidden wonders if you would only slow down enough to see them.

A tourist will drive slowly and see the beauty and uniqueness of a place, but a lover of the city will stop and explore. Don’t be a tourist in your own relationship.

I hope I was right about the elderly couple, but I know that my relationship advice is sound. So if you’ll excuse me, I am going to go and take my own advice to appreciate the person I love because who knows: in 50 years we may be riding a bike taxi.

But what do I know about love: I’m just a college girl with a penchant for hallmark movies!

A future historian who has a love of all things pink, a serious coffee addiction, and a passion to spread self-love.