This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

There were several factors that finally led up to my decision to declare my major. I knew that there was the upcoming “second semester of sophomore year” deadline, but on a more personal level, I knew that it was time that I figured out what I was going to do with my life. Now, I’d convinced myself several times that I would end up majoring in Business, Art History, French, and even Biology (*shudder*) at one point, but this was different. This time, I actually had experience to back up my decision.

Let me break it down for you: in high school, I decided that I wanted to be a dermatologist. Prescribing expensive creams and treatments to women who just wanted to look a bit younger while making a comfortable living for myself – what could go wrong? That question was quickly answered when I decided to shadow a local dermatologist in the city’s public hospital. No glamor, no skin creams… I did, however, get to see her excavate a large cyst on the corner of a man’s eye. So that bird was shot down pretty quickly. The other possibilities went in the same direction. By my second semester at school, I decided that I would pursue a career in law: but without a law or pre-law major, what path was I supposed to take for undergrad?

The answer, I found, was in International Studies (one of my general education classes – I cannot stress the importance of these enough!). Upon further research, I found that not only does the major fit my interests like a glove, but there are also on-campus societies for the major and amazing opportunities that come with it. Instead of challenging myself by taking classes that are impossible for my learning style (hello, biology and economics), I’m taking classes that challenge me to think of solutions for political climates in countries overseas.

Once you declare a major with the college, you are assigned an advisor to work with until you graduate. You are presented with abundant opportunities that are privy to only yourself and other students within your major.

My advice: choose a path that you will enjoy sticking with over the next 3-4 years. Look into the study abroad opportunities that come with it, and the types of internship opportunities that are available for someone with your experience. Ask yourself if this type of career is what you really want to do for the rest of your life! Run through the list of required classes for majors that interest you, and see if they correspond with a minor that would strengthen your degree. And most importantly, I encourage you to get involved on campus. We are fortunate here at the College of Charleston to have a wide array of clubs and societies on campus to cater to many a major and minor. These types of involvement look spectacular on resumes and graduate school applications.

College is a fun, stimulating, and memorable experience – discover a major that is, too!

For on-campus assistance with choosing your major, contact the Advising Center!

Co-founder and former Editor-in-Chief of HC CofC.