Want a Bikini Body? Put on a Bikini

Now that summer is over and fall is taking over, there’s been a lot of talk about people who want to perfect their summer bodies over the winter/fall so that when beach season comes around, they’ll have a perfectly sculpted, perfectly tan, thin body to show off and be proud of. Notice a reoccurring word there? Perfect. Perfection seems to be the American standard and we don’t want to settle for anything less. Perfect legs, perfect butt, perfect abs, perfect hair, perfect face perfect teeth, perfect everything. But, here’s the secret about perfection: it’s not real. It’s not attainable. It is a myth.

Advertisers and the companies they advertise completely fuel what they do with this incessant need for perfection. There is an entire industry that thrives on prying on people’s insecurities to make a profit. The average woman throughout her life spends $15,000 on makeup$15,000. That is a ridiculous amount of money. What’s even more ridiculous? Maybe the amount of money that America spends on cosmetic surgeries, which the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) says that America spent $12 billion just in 2013. Not to say that there is anything wrong with makeup or plastic surgery – if wearing a face full of makeup or getting some kind of comsetic surgery makes you feel better about yourself, that’s great. But the thing is, people aren’t born hating things about themselves; they’re taught to. Companies and advertisers use models and photoshop to create “perfection” and then they sell it back to consumers. But it’s not real! It’s digitally created and retouched. Remember what Jessimae Peluso said? “You will never look like the girl in the magazine. The girl in the magazine doesn’t even look like the girl in the magazine”.

Not only is the attempt at perfection expensive, it’s dangerous. In the United States, up to 30 million people, men and women of all ages, suffer from some form of an eating disorder, and more people die from eating disorders than they do from any other mental illness. Those Victoria’s Secret models? The swim suit models? People are killing themselves, literally, trying to look like them. And those models don’t even look like that! It’s all retouching and editing.

So when summer comes around and you want to have a bikini body, here’s the only thing you need to do. Put on a bikini! That’s it. There’s your bikini body. No diet pills, no liposuction, no starving yourself, nada. We live in a world where it’s normal to talk about how much we hate ourselves, but taboo to talk about how much we love ourselves. Love yourself! The path to loving yourself and who you are is a journey so rewarding and satisfying. The idea of perfection that is sold to us is not attainable or even real. What is perfect is who you are, right now, in this moment. That can’t be sold or bought – it’s that easy.

Writing is what I love most and want to eventually make a career out of. I want to travel the world and write about what I see and experience.