This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

With Valentine’s Day approaching, I know that there’s a lot of mixed emotions on this topic for me, but one thing that came to my mind during this holiday is the importance of a man. Why is a man over a guy so important to me? Why does it matter? I know as a freshman college student you’re probably thinking, “What does she know about relationships? Why does this even matter?” And you’re right, maybe I don’t know that much, but I do want to say that you should value yourself in ANY relationship, and your partner should be doing exactly the same.

So what’s the difference between a man and a boy? For me, a man is one who allows you to be independent (not possessive), one who supports you in all things you do (maybe verbally, physically, and morally), pushes you towards your goals (not away!). These kinds of qualities, to me, are something that would indicate a man, and if this isn’t for you, then find a man who brings out the best in you, not one who ties you down! Now, by NO means am I saying all people are like this, and you shouldn’t expect any person to be perfect. It’s a give and take when it comes to meeting new people, so love with an open heart!

Now, what about the qualities of a boy? This list could go on and on…immaturity, manipulation, and lying. These are just a few of the ideas that I have seen from my experiences, and I know that everyone has their own experiences! Additionally, I know that my ideal thoughts aren’t for everyone, but this is me and my beliefs. Lastly, you don’t have to be in a relationship to be happy!

So, with Valentine’s Day around the corner, if you are taken or alone on this holiday, go and TREAT YOURSELF! Go do something special, go have a Galentine’s Day (small gathering), take pictures, and enjoy life, because you deserve it! 

Imagine college but with covid... thats me lol just a freshman out here trying to make it through one of the most different and difficult of times :)