This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

I remember when I first started getting into fashion. On most long flights my family took to vacation, my mom would always be sure to buy the newest copy of InStyle at the magazine rack, and I would take it from her whenever she finished (or fell asleep, whichever came first) and look through the pictures. As I got older, I would try to remember designers’ names and see if I could identify the designer with the garment, just by looking at style. One of the moments I remember distinctly was being struck by the beauty of a green dress. I cannot tell you exactly what the dress looked like or who wore it, but I remember falling in love with it. It was one of the first times fashion made me feel something. I remember seeing the name Oscar de la Renta and thinking to myself, “I need to remember that name so if I’m ever on that red carpet, I know who I want to wear.” Granted, my red carpet moment has yet to come, and the chances of me slipping on an Oscar de la Renta gown anytime soon are slim, but Oscar de la Renta has remained one of my favorite designers since then. What makes him so talented can be shown by the fact that, although he began designing in 1950, his ability to adapt to the changes in style to make a woman feel beautiful is clear. From dressing Taylor Swift to Nicki Minaj, this man had a way of making everyone look and feel sexy and sophisticated. The news of his death was tragic, and as a celebration of his talent, here are some of my favorite dresses of his that have graced the red carpet.

Taylor Swift at the 2014 Met Gala

This dress somehow managed to look like something Audrey Hepburn would wear in one of her movies, while still looking modern. If I were princess for a day, this is the dress I would wear.

Lea Michelle at the 2011 Golden Globes

The layers and texture on the bottom are awe-inspiring.

Iman at the 2009 American Ballet Theatre Spring Gala

He even makes neon green look cultured and chic.

Emma Watson at the 2011 Harry Potter premiere

I remember seeing this dress and wanting to cry because she looked so perfect. If you don’t automatically think of this dress when thinking of Oscar de la Renta, I don’t want to know what goes on in your brain.

Model at the 2012 Oscar de la Renta Spring Fashion Show

This dress did not make it onto the red carpet, but I could not pass up the opportunity to show it. The color paired with the contrasting lace overlay make for one of the most beautiful dresses I have seen. 

Amy Adams at the 2013 Oscars

I’m not sure how she managed to walk comfortably in this dress, but I would sacrifice my walking abilities to wear this gown any day too, Amy.

Sarah Jessica Parker at the 2014 Met Gala

SJP had a great friendship with Oscar de la Renta and wore a lot of his designs to major events, but this one takes the cake, with its structured elegance and glamorous simplicity. 

Photo Creds: 

hollywoodlife.com

harpersbazaar.com

glamourmagazine.co.uk

eonline.com

style.com

dailymail.co.uk

oscardelarenta.com

weddingdressesilove.com

Camila is a freshman at the College of Charleston, SC and a member of Delta Gamma. She plans to major in Marketing with a double minor Spanish and Communications. She is obsessed with any variation of mac and cheese and tweets often to the dismay of her followers. She loves puns and shopping and plans to severely deplete her savings account in the next four years on King St.