The Top 5 Movies to Make You Ugly Cry this Galentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Personally, Valentine’s Day is one of my favorite holidays, but this year, I am as single as a pringle. So, for all you other girls trying to host the best Galentine’s Day party just like me, I’ve got the perfect list of movies for y’all to binge-watch! 

If I Stay

If I Stay tells the story of Mia Hall, played by Chloe Grace Moretz. It’s senior year of high school, and Mia is going through a break-up and waiting on an acceptance letter from Julliard when she, her parents, and her brother are involved in a life-changing car accident. Mia is in a coma and, in an out of body experience, replays the highlights of her life and relationships. She has to make the gut-wrenching decision to wake up to her life forever changed, or to stop fighting. 

Embarrassingly enough, I will say that the first time I watched this movie, I was in serious contemplation about whether my middle school crush would be crying at my bedside just as Mia’s boyfriend was. 10/10 recommend. 

The Age of Adaline 

Adaline Bowman, played by Blake Lively, was in a terrible accident and has not aged in a hundred years. After losing the love of her life because of her secret, she lives through the centuries to find another love, but it turns out to be even more complicated than it sounds. 

You may be asking the question, “Why should I really watch this, though?” The answer is: Blake Lively. 11/10 recommend. 

Five Feet Apart 

Before I even start, no, it is not a knockoff of The Fault in our Stars, it is much better. This one has Cole Sprouse. 10/10 recommend.

The Best of Me

High school sweethearts Amanda and Dawson, played by Michelle Mongahan and James Marsden, are torn apart due to circumstances that are beyond their control. After reuniting years later, their love is rekindled just to be torn away from them again. 

The ending of this movie? I have no words. You really need to watch this one! Plus, who doesn’t love James Marsden? 15/10 recommend.

Winter’s Tale 

Winter’s Tale takes place in 1916 and depicts a treacherous fight between angels and demons while following the magical love story of Beverly Penn and Peter Lake. It is Peter’s destiny to save a beautiful girl from a devastating illness. With help from the angels and fate, Peter lives a long life full of love and tragedy until his destiny is complete. 

Also, Peter Lake is played by Colin Farrel (a.k.a one of the most beautiful men to walk this earth). Do you really need any more endorsement than that? 20/10 recommend. 

If you’re looking for the perfect movie to both rip your heart out and make you believe in love, I don’t think you can go wrong with these. I hope everyone has a great Galentine’s Day! 

Ava Lubin

C of C '23

Hey! I'm Ava. I'm from Cleveland, Mississippi, and I'm a sophomore majoring in Psychology and minoring in Italian Studies. I love being with friends, going to concerts, and travelling!