#TheGoodinGreek: What Makes CofC’s Greek Life More Than a Stereotype

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

The College of Charleston’s Panhellenic Council has launched a new campaign highlighting the good things that are happening in Greek life and what comes out of being a part of a Greek organization.  The 20 day campaign, #TheGoodinGreek, started on September 19 attempts to exemplify all the good things that Greek life can and should be.  They have already done so by starting to showcase what College of Charleston’s Greek life has accomplished.

This campaign comes after recent press about The College’s Greek life, linking it to criminal behaviors on and off campus.  However, College of Charleston has began revamping its programs with education and awareness to combat the issues that plague nearly all college campuses.  Thus, the campaign also aims to recreate the image that is so often perpetuated by the media about Greek life on college and university campuses.  

A few members of the College of Charleston’s Greek life spoke to me about what Greek life and this campaign meant to them:

What is #TheGoodinGreek to you?

“#TheGoodinGreek to me is the opportunity to team up and form a brotherhood with guys who are equally as motivated to make a difference in the community and on campus in the form of leadership and community service.” –Josh Chait, junior member of Alpha Tau Omega

“#TheGoodinGreek to me is displaying the good that the Greek community portrays to the world such as fundraising for all of our individual philanthropies as well as the overall Panhellenic wide philanthropy of Circle of Sisterhood. In addition, each individual sister in all the different sororities have their own personal goals they strive to achieve each and every day.” — Kayla Clary, junior member of Sigma Kappa

“To me, #TheGoodinGreek is a way of combating all the negativity that has come down on greek life in recent months. It is a way of showing people that we are not the stereotypes that TV and movies have created for the greek community.”–Samantha Knight, senior member of Sigma Kappa

“#TheGoodinGreek is Greek life’s pure form seen everyday– in every event held, every smile on the sidewalk from a sister, every relationship built. It is the pride you hold in your sisters and yourself – the pride that encourages growth and the drive to become better versions of yourself with the help of those who you surround yourself with. I am proud to say that I see that drive in every one of my sisters. My friends, and more importantly sisters, who will always be there for me and help me to keep on improving.”  –Tegan Noonan, senior member of Alpha Delta Pi

“To me #TheGoodInGreek is just one of the many ways that members of Greek life will be able to show just how amazing Greek life truly is. Obviously, just as there is in everything on this earth, there are bad things and bad people, but #TheGoodInGreek is our way of trying to show the world that Greek life is about much more than parties or a star-studded social life; it’s about sisterhood and brotherhood, bonds that will never be broken. It’s about giving back to the community and trying to make this world a better place, one college campus at a time.” –Margaret Anne Queen, junior member of Sigma Kappa

What’s the most rewarding or special part of being in Greek life?

“Being in Greek life is so special to me because I am a colony member of my specific chapter which is a once in a lifetime experience. My chapter has worked incredibly hard to be where we are today. Being in this chapter, I know I always have girls I can text whenever I am hungry, bored, need advice, or anything really and know they will always be there for me no matter what the case is. In addition, the bonds I have created being in Sigma Kappa are unbreakable.” –Clary

“The most rewarding part of Greek life has been the confidence that I have gained as being a part of my organization. I used to be very to myself and was never comfortable in front of crowds, today I am serving on my sororities executive board as well as the dance marathon executive board.” –Katie Gaynor, senior member of Phi Mu

“The most rewarding part of being in Greek life is all of the relationships that you build within it, not only with others members of your particular organization, but with other greek life, the college, the local community and others around the nation as well. I am proud to be a part of a group of girls that will always support me and be there for me no matter the time of day or what’s going on. They will always be a part of my life whether I’m close by or far away.” –Knight

“Greek life has been so special to me because it has been a part of my life when becoming my own person was such a focus. The people I met and the experiences I’ve had with Greek life has had an extremely positive role in that never ending process.” –Noonan

“For me, the most rewarding part of being a Sigma Kappa has been joining the battle against Alzheimer’s. I know too many people who suffer from this disease and too many families who cannot afford the little treatment we have to offer, and that isn’t right. From joining Sigma Kappa, I’ve learned so much about this disease and have enjoyed every moment of fighting for a cure alongside my sisters who are just as passionate about the cause as I am. When I found out that our chapter had raised over $10,000 for the Alzheimer’s Association, I was overwhelmed by how much support we had during our fundraising. And to know that we made that much of a difference made me even more proud to say that I’m a Sigma Kappa.” –Queen

Why is it so important to break the stereotypes portrayed in the media of Greek life?

“I believe it is always important to break through any stereotype you may be caught up in. I have never been a ‘typical frat’ guy. I like to think ATO fosters a different kind of brotherhood that allows everyone to help each of when needed while simultaneously pushing each other forward as a whole towards opportunity and success professionally and individually.” –Chait

“The stereotypes given everyday to Greek Life that is portrayed in media needs to be broken because none of them are true.  We care about giving back to others in our community such as the Walk to End Alzheimer’s I did with my chapter and raised $10,000 towards one of our philanthropies, the Alzheimer’s Association. We have set study hours each week, and we keep each other accountable in order to help all of our grades stay up and keep school a priority.” –Clary

“Saying you are in a sorority can usually get one of two reactions– either the person was also in Greek life and you all of a sudden have a whole new topic of conversation to cover about your individual experiences, or you get someone who doesn’t understand and believes you are buying your friends and only in it for the parties. Breaking the stereotype will help those with the belief that Greek life is no more than a social aspect of college become educated on the good Greek life does and how it positively can impact the local community” –Gaynor

“Breaking the stereotypes means a new outlook for Greek life as organizations that are involved in the community, help create a home away from home for students, and help members realise their full potentials as students and as leaders.” –Knight

What is something you want people to know about your organization and Greek life as a whole?

“Greek life and my organization (ATO) does not strip you of your identity but rather allows me and others to build up our specific strengths within our organization whether it be leadership, mentoring, event planning, etc, there are forms of involvement to utilize and expand your skill sets while being in an organization with other guys who hold the same high standard and values.” –Chait

“I want people to know that my organization, Sigma Kappa, is way more than anything portrayed on any social media site. Sigma Kappa is my home away from home that I know will be apart of me for eternity. Being in a sorority is something that no one can explain, you just have to witness but what it is is something incredible that I will forever be grateful for.” –Clary

“ I just want people to know that being a part of my organization has opened so many doors for me and shown me more about myself than I ever could have learned through my college experience had I not been apart of Greek life and all of the service, leadership, and friendship opportunities.” –Gaynor

“I didn’t join my sorority till my junior year. As a senior, I now realise that joining was the best decision I have ever made. I have made friends that I tell everything to. I have made memories that I never want to forget. I have realised who I want to be in life. And I have found a home that will forever be with me.” –Knight

“Greek life is more than meets the eyes it’s a vehicle for love and support that is much needed in this crazy journey through life.” –Noonan

“The key thing that makes us all brothers and sisters is that all of our organizations are centered around service and giving back to the communities around us, but that never gets any recognition from the press. The only time Greek life is ever recognized is if someone does something that gives Greek life a negative connotation. And that is not okay with me. I hope that #TheGoodInGreek campaign will show people all over the United States that Greek life is about so much more than what is put on the news.” –Queen

Greek life at the College of Charleston is taking a stand against the negative attention it often draws.  It’s highlighting the progress and accomplishments happening within each organization and it is bringing attention to all the positives that come from it.  With the help of #TheGoodinGreek, the College of Charleston hopes to address and overcome the negative stereotypes and attention to create progress within the Greek community to be even better.  

So collegiettes, what does #TheGoodinGreek mean to you? HCXO

All photos courtesy of College of Charleston Panhellenic’s #TheGoodinGreek campaign.

Born and raised in the northernmost state, Alaska, Marissa flew south to College of Charleston for a little more sun and a little more heat.  She believes a good life involves coffee, puppies, and more coffee and free time is her favorite thing not to have.