The Top Five Things You Should Do When Returning To CofC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.
Unpack your stuff

If you’re anything like me, the very first thing you do is unpack your stuff when moving into a new place. And, if you’re not like me, chances are you don’t like unpacking and will not want to do it. This desire to not unpack will only worsen as time goes on. It is usually better to get unpacked as soon as possible, otherwise you’ll be left with suitcases and boxes for months while all of your friends are enjoying their new, unpacked room.

Visit your friends

When you go to college, you usually make a few friends. And sometimes, those friends may live far away from your home, so you don’t always get to see them over the summer. One of the first things I like to do when I return to college is find my friends! It’s always good to see your friends after a long time of not being with each other. My favorite thing with them is to go on a coffee or boba date to catch up with everyone and see how their summers went!

Go to a school event

I know, I know. This may not sound like the most fun task on the list, but it definitely can be! There are tons of ways to get involved on campus, and going to a school event might be the first step in your networking process. Going to a school event can help you find more friends, get out of your comfort zone, and can open you up to new experiences! It’s always good to put yourself out there and go through new things. Going to school events might be the best way to make new friends, find a new club, or even just get out there in the world!

visit your favorite place on campus

Everyone develops a favorite spot on campus, and if you haven’t found one yet, that can be something to do when you get back! Visiting your favorite place on campus can help you really put yourself into the perspective of being a student again. Your favorite place on campus should be somewhere you feel at home in and somewhere that is low-stress. Think of your favorite place as somewhere where you can unwind after a long day, or go when youre feeling stressed.

Go to the beach

This is something that is an absolute must for when you get back to The College. Going to the beach is a fun activity for everyone and, if you’re like me, you don’t always get to go because it’s farther away. I always like to go to the beach before classes actually start because it’s a way to say goodbye to summer and hello to the school year. Going to the beach can help you unwind and settle the nerves about going back to school, and is a great way to get outside! 

Hi, I'm Kinslee! I'm from Piedmont, SC and I'm currently a sophomore at the College of Charleston. I am majoring in Psychology with minors in Writing, Rhetoric and Publication and in Women’s and Gender Studies. In my free time, when I'm not writing, I'm usually reading by the beach with my girlfriend, or hanging around at the local cat cafe!