This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

As much as I love living in my swimsuit and shorts during the summer, there’s something exciting about being in a new season, especially when it comes to fashion. The fun thing about the cooler months is that you can layer and add so much to your look. I’ve listed what I think are some staples you should have in your wardrobe to put together all your favorite fall outfits this year.

Good Pair of Jeans

Simple but a must. I am currently guilty of having 8 pairs of jeans and only wearing my 2 favorites. All you need is one pair that you invest in that will last a long time. Jeans are a staple and so versatile for a variety of looks.

Basic Tee/Tank

Almost every clothing store has a section of basics. I love this because they are pieces that can be paired and layered with so many different things. I like getting several in neutral tones and some in different shades for a pop of color. 

Since it takes a little longer for Charleston to get to cool temperatures, my go-to right now is a black tank top under everything. I wear mine under a jacket, sweater, or on the hotter days, wear it by itself. On the cooler days, you can switch that out for a long sleeve top.

Jackets

A nice jacket can make it look like you tried hard when you really didn’t. This could be leather, jeans, corduroy, or even a blazer. These staple pieces will elevate your look to a whole new level.

Sweaters

For when it gets cooler, a cozy sweater is always helpful and cute to have on hand. Throw it on with your go-to pair of jeans and a pair of cute boots and you’re all set.

Boots!

One of my favorite components of fall attire. These could be knee-high, mid, or booties. There are so many options and they are all so cute. You can keep your look simple by pairing a fun boot pattern such as snake or cheetah print with a color solid look.

Accessories 

To top off your look and take it to the next level, add a pair of hoops, layered necklaces, and your favorite bag. Also, consider buying a pair of stockings/tights so you can still wear those skirts and dresses! Fall is the time for cute scarves and hats as well. 

Step out of your comfort zone this season and rock it, beauties! 

Hi, my name is Samantha! I am a senior here at the College of Charleston and am majoring in psychology. My interests include music, beauty, fitness, good food, and the city of Charleston!