This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Alright, the freezing rain is gone, I don’t want to hear anyone wishing it back. It’s like the universe heard our groans from midterm season and said “Here’s some warmth, y’all are stressed.”  If you’re anything like me, fresh air and a nice breeze is the best medicine. I prefer to spend most of my time outdoors, so this hardcore cold-spell has not been ideal for the ol’ mental health. I definitely plan to spend the better part of my days this semester outside. I know that after the past two months, you’re probably used to being all cozied up in your dorm. So, here are some ways to start exchanging fluorescent lights and indoor heat for sunlight and a cool breeze.

Study Time

I know this is college. “Free time” sounds like some great legendary myth to us. So, I’ve found that the best way to get outside, without stretching your schedule thin, is to move said schedule outside. Find a nice, quiet, grassy spot, a picnic table, or a café with outside seating and do your homework there. I think that working in the sunshine and fresh air removes the dread of whatever assignment I’m working on. Depending on where you are, the sounds of where you are working can be great background noise for some class readings.

Go for a walk
  1. If you’ve been looking to get some exercise or just need to destress at the end of the day, lemme tell you about walking. For one, it’s exercise that doesn’t suck. You barely know you are burning calories and getting your heart pumping. You’re not stuck on a treadmill gasping for breath. You’re taking in the sights and sounds around you while feeling that nice spring air on your skin. If you live in a city, you may stumble across a new store. Going on walks is how I found my favorite bookstore. If you’re ever feeling overwhelmed with work, school, family life, or anything, just go for a 30 minute walk. You’ll feel a serious difference.
Strawberry Picking

I know, very specific. But honestly this is one of my favorite springtime activities. It’s something super fun and relatively cheap you can do with friends. Not only do you get an hour or so of fun-in-the-sun, but you also get some tasty snacks out of it too. Any fellow avid baker also sees this as a great way to get your hands on some fresh ingredients. And it doesn’t have to be strawberries. Blueberries and different types of apples are also great for picking this time of year.

Hiking

Hiking is honestly one of my favorite things to do any time of the year, but I feel like springtime is when the woods come alive. Everything seems more vibrant, flowers are in bloom, and like a college student, all of the wildlife is emerging from their cave from a really long nap. Hiking is the ‘Going on a Walk’ for people who are extra on the outdoorsy side. This is a great way to clear your mind if you decide to take it solo (let someone know where you went and what time you should be back if you choose a difficult trail) or it’s also an amazing way to bond with friends. Also, if you choose a park far away… Road Trip! If you’re looking for a place to start check out https://southcarolinaparks.com/.

Picnics

Did I just give you the best date idea of the year? Call me an old soul, but picnics are so much fun. (But seriously, please call me an old soul-It’s true)! I think that picnicking is such a cute way to spend time outside. It’s something that can be done just about anywhere. A beach day? Pack a picnic. Going on a hike because you read this article? Picnic. Are you going on the mile walk to a class building because your school is on a city campus? Please pack water, but also a picnic! It’s a great way to spend time with friends and get outside.

I know the past few months have been very indoorsy for a lot of us. I for one would like to soak up as much sun as I possibly can this spring. Take some time to clear your head with some fresh air. Go play frisbee in a local park or just go and sunbathe for a while. I’ll see y’all outside! Stay Hydrated!

Arwen Jeger

C of C '25

Heyo! I'm just a gal that loves to read, watch movies, and explore the world around me. If you ever need a good book or show to get into, or just a solid piece of advice, I got your back!