Sober in Savannah: Surviving St. Patrick’s Day Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

When you hear “Savannah” and “Saint Patrick’s Day” in the same sentence, it’s impossible not to think about the all-day and all-night party that completely takes over River Street. As someone who saw it first-hand, I can vouch for the fact that the crowds were crazy and that my mom was in fact correct when she told me to “be careful” in the city. But the crowds couldn’t stop my best friend and I from heading down to Savannah last Saturday to enjoy the warm weather and beautiful scenery, and I’m so glad that we did.

The madness that was River Street. I was very nostalgic for the Charleston waterfront!

To start off our day, we took the water ferry from the Savannah International Trade Center (both parking and the ferry were free!) over to Waving Girl Landing. From there, we wandered through the streets and enjoyed many of the 22 historic squares in the city. We had lunch at Clary’s Cafe – the food was relatively cheap and the cafe served both breakfast and lunch, so there were plenty of options! 

The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, one of the most striking churches I have ever seen – so beautiful. 

We then made our way to Broughton Street, where we ate ice cream and went into 24e Design Co., an awesome design store specializing in modern and contemporary furniture. Among my favorite pieces were a desk made out of an airplane door and large vintage British flags hanging from the ceiling. 

From there, we continued on to Forsyth Park, which was probably my favorite part of the city. It was wonderful to sit on the grass and talk while watching all of the people walk by. We watched some St. Patrick’s Day festivities, listened to an exceptionally talented man play the trumpet for over an hour, and took pictures of the fountain–whose waters had been dyed green in celebration of the holiday.

Wanting to avoid the nighttime crowds down by the water, we decided to make our escape to Tybee Island. As a big fan of The Last Song, I was more than excited. Tybee was used as the main filming location for the movie adaptation. I unabashedly posed for pictures outside of the house where Ronnie’s father lived, beside the beach nets where Will played volleyball, and under the pier where Ronnie had a fire. Even though it was cloudy and windy, the beach was definitely worth the drive.

The back of the house where The Last Song was filmed – Miley Cyrus was here!

We finished up our day with a quick stop at a pizza place for dinner and then drove the two and a half hours home. Overall, it was a long day, but it was also a great day. We laughed, we sang, we explored an entirely new city, and we even played “When I Look At You” while dancing down the beach (how could I resist?!). Thanks for the wonderful memories, Savannah.

All photos courtesy of Ebby Bowles.

SaveSave

I'm a senior English major with a concentration in Creative Writing at CofC originally from Boston. I'm also a member of the Honors College, Literati, and HSA here at the College. I love libraries, Target, and exploring; and I am way too emotionally invested in fictional characters. I'm currently leaving the love of my life (the ocean) behind to study abroad in London for the semester.    
Born and raised in the northernmost state, Alaska, Marissa flew south to College of Charleston for a little more sun and a little more heat.  She believes a good life involves coffee, puppies, and more coffee and free time is her favorite thing not to have.