This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Sam Filchak, a senior here at the college, is majoring in Arts Management and minoring in Music Theory. On the weekends, Sam enjoys playing his guitar in a his local church band, as well as jamming out with his friends whenever he gets the chance. Being from Myrtle Beach, he loves to skimboard and spend lazy days soaking up the sun. He also has a license in physical training and hopes one day to make it his profession. Her Campus C of C had the chance to sit down with Sam and chat about his interests, his time here at C of C, and his plans for the future. 

So Sam, what made you decide to go to the College of Charleston? 

“A lot of my friends had gone there and loved it, and the city life really intrigued me. So I went for it. Best decision I ever made.”

What’s your favorite college memory? 

“My freshman year, I would wake up every morning and go to good ol’ Liberty for breakfast and treat myself to a delicious omelet. Good times.” 

You said earlier you liked to play the guitar. What age did you start playing? 

“I started taking lessons when I was seven. I bought my own Taylor when I was ten. The rest is history.”

How would you describe your childhood growing up on the coast? 

“I spent a lot of time outside. Mostly on the beach. I love to swim. The ocean is my favorite place to be.” 

So you’re a certificated physical trainer? Fitness must be important to you. 

“I like to go to the gym about four times a week working on my own fitness. I also make fitness plans for other people and train during my free time. Yeah, I think it’s really important to keep your body in shape. You gotta live. Not just survive.”

What are your plans once you’ve graduated? 

“I would really love to move to LA and open my own gym. I really do love helping other people with their fitness and hope my degree can help me with the business aspects of my dream.”

Last question, and of course I have to ask. Any room for love in all of these plans? 

“You can’t plan for love. But yeah, I can’t wait to meet my dream girl. She’s got to be artsy, but down to earth. I love a girl who likes adventure. She can’t be afraid to make the first move.” 
She had a cocktail in her hand and confetti in her hair.
Camilla States is a member of the class of 2015 at The College of Charleston.  She hails from the seaside town of Gloucester, Massachusetts, where she enjoys spending her summers on both land and sea.  A Communications major also pursuing a minor in Political Science, Camilla aspires for a future career in broadcast or print journalism. She is also studying Modern Standard Arabic, with hopes of one day becoming proficient in the language. From a young age, Camilla has held a fascination for world geography and foreign cultures.  She hopes to someday traverse the world, from New England to New Zealand and everywhere in between.