This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

It is hard to remember that the only thing we are in complete control of is ourselves. It is up to us to water ourselves, and it can be easy to fall into a cycle of depending on others for our happiness. But in the end, we are the ones who are in control. And one thing I can promise is that life gets better when you learn that you have to water yourself. Whoever you tend to lean to for happiness, whether it is a significant other, family, or friends, just remember you have to know how to be happy alone. So here is a poem I wrote based on a friend of mine’s Instagram account. Thank you for the inspiration, @smile.a.lil.bit.

There was a time when I passed a mirror, 

and for the first time when I saw my reflection staring back at me,

I was not a stem. I was greeted by my reflection with colorful petals waving back at me.

Life got better when I learned that I have to water myself.

When I learned how to do things that lead to growth, 

when I tried new things,

I saw myself starting to blossom.

Surround yourself with bees who take things from you and sprinkle you everywhere,

while they nurture you and support you.

Self-love grows with patience. 

and effort.

When I feel my petals drying up, I look for the sun.

And begin to water myself.

I reach for the paintbrushes in the back of my desk,

I go for a walk, 

I look for the good.

So that when I pass a mirror again, I see colorful petals waving back at me.

Sometimes a petal may fall, and

I do feel helpless, but I just remind myself that, 

I am a freshman at the College of Charleston and absolutely love this city. I am an English EDEN major and plan to travel and teach after graduation!