A Ranking of the Songs on Coin’s New Album “Dreamland”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

I am IN LOVE with the indie-pop band Coin. On February 21st, the day their third album came out, I listened to it four times. I know it’s been out for a hot minute, but I just needed time to process. As much as I love it all, I do have my favorite songs, so I have made a personal list that ranks them from good to the very best:

Dreamland Sequence

This song lands at the bottom because I have never heard anything like this from Coin before. Don’t get me wrong, it’s really pretty. There’s a calming element to this sound that I love, but there are still some even more amazing songs on this album.

Heaven Hearted

The sound of “Heaven Hearted” is quite similar to “Dreamland Sequence”, but it makes me feel something completely different. It gives off a twinge of sadness, almost as if something is coming to an end. 

Let It All Out (10:05)

This song is absolutely beautiful. I won’t lie, it took me a while to get used to, but I can finally appreciate it now. I get goosebumps every time I listen. While making this album, the band went through some major transitions that can be felt in this song. 

Youuu

I think it’s safe to say that we all have that one person that we know we shouldn’t be with again, but we want to anyway, right? This song embodies that completely, while still using their signature sound and making you not so sad about a not so great topic. 

Cemetery

Though it is lower on my list, one of the things I do like about this song is that it’s pretty unique compared to their other ones. Yes, it has the same amazing tempo and vibe that makes all their songs great, but the song talks about how it doesn’t matter how much money you have if you don’t have someone to come home to. 

Babe Ruth

Honestly, I just love the way this song sounds. It’s more of a muted tempo than their other music, and it makes me feel so many different things. Exactly what that is, I don’t know, but I love it. 

Never Change

So, there’s this one scene in this movie If I Stay. The main character, Mia, is dancing and she looks like a complete idiot, but you see how much fun she’s having. That’s how this song makes me feel. Ironically enough, the lyrics are not so upbeat. A girl has been putting him through hell, but he can’t live without her. I don’t know about y’all, but I can definitely relate. 

Crash My Car

I think my favorite part of this song has to be the line “I love the way you’re breaking my heart” because me too. 

In all seriousness, though, I have definitely lost my voice singing this (screaming this) in my car. It’s just so fun. 

Nobody’s Baby

For starters, how can you not love the title? The message behind it is even better: don’t miss an opportunity to act on how you feel about someone. How will you know if you never try, right? 

Simple Romance

One of my favorite things about Coin is how they make every song so lighthearted and fun, even if the point of the song really isn’t. In this song, he talks about how hard love is when one of you is really ready for it and taking it seriously, but the other person wants to treat it like a casual feeling. 

This song also has one of my favorite memories attached to it. Every time I hear it all I can think about is Chase Lawrence, the lead singer, dancing around on stage and how much fun I had at that moment. 

I Want It All

“I Want It All” tells the story of how he wants a crazy, all-consuming love or he doesn’t want it, and, honestly, who doesn’t relate to that? 

Also, I just want to add that I love concerts. I try to go to as many as I can and always have one lined up whenever possible, but I have never had more fun at a concert than when I got to watch this song being performed live. 

Valentine

The very first lyrics are “You ever love something so much it hurts?” I think we all can relate to that, and this song is just so great. 

Lately III

You know those songs that make you wanna roll down the windows and drive forever? Yeah, this is one of those. Behind the amazing sound that is so easy to listen to for hours, the band tells that there is always just that one person that you depended on and need back in your life. 

Into My Arms

This song just honestly makes me so happy. When I watched the music video I may or may not have cried just a little bit. Nothing I say about this one will do the song any justice, so just go listen to it!

Coin, for me, is one of those bands that can make me happy no matter what. They have a song perfect for every moment and every feeling, and I think everybody should have a little bit of Coin in their life!

Ava Lubin

C of C '23

Hey! I'm Ava. I'm from Cleveland, Mississippi, and I'm a sophomore majoring in Psychology and minoring in Italian Studies. I love being with friends, going to concerts, and travelling!