jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Yes, I am in a sorority. No, I do not pay for my friends. 

“How are you comfortable being in a sorority knowing that you are just paying for your friends?”
That is the number one question that I get asked and to be quite honest, it is the most annoying thing ever. 100% of the time, this question is coming from someone who is not a part of Greek life, and someone who assumes that being in a sorority is just like in the movies. However, it is the complete opposite. Just to get it out of the way and clear things up, yes, I pay dues, but they do NOT guarantee that anyone will be my friend. The money that I, along with my sisters, pay go towards many different things and I get an itemized bill when I pay so I know everything they are going towards. That’s how I am comfortable paying for my sorority and the best experiences I will have in college.

I came into college having some not so great views on sorority girls and Greek life, I will not lie. That being said, I took a chance and sat down with a sorority girl for coffee where I learned so much about Greek life and what it is all about. My decision to join has been the best decision I have made since I moved to college. It has opened me up to so many experiences and opportunities that made me more independent, more outgoing, and definitely given me friendships that will last a lifetime.

My sorority and my sisters push me to be the best version of myself that I can be. Not only do my sisters look out for my best interests and tell me the truth even when it isn’t easy, but my sorority also has standards and rules that I have to abide by. I have done better academically since I joined a sorority. I know that sounds crazy, but I really have, and it is because I have a certain number of study hours I have to do each week because I am required to maintain a certain GPA and I have my sisters constantly asking me to go to the library with them or to study with them. It is hard to not succeed, in class and in life, when you have a bunch of girls supporting you.

When I came to college, I told myself that I wanted to be more outgoing and try new things, and well my first semester here, that did not happen. I went to class, went to work, then hung out with my one or two friends, every day. I really did not make any friends my first semester and well, it kind of sucked, but once I even mentioned thinking about joining my sorority, I was welcomed with open arms. The more girls I met, the more welcomed I felt and the more comfortable I felt on campus.

The thing is, sororities have images, morals, values, and standards that they must uphold. Once you become a part of an organization, you become one of the many faces of it. That means that you must uphold those images, morals, values, and standards. Yes, I have my own standards and morals but it’s nice to have more than just my own to think about. They hold me to a higher standard than I hold myself, and in the long run it will be extremely beneficial.

If you ask me, sorority life is amazing. It is a once in a lifetime experience, that I suggest every girl, who has the opportunity, should try. If you do not like it, you can drop but for all you know you might find your best friends and have the time of your life. If it wasn’t for my sorority, I would not be as involved on campus, have the beautiful friends that I have, or have any of the amazing memories that I have made thus far.

I am a Sophomore here at the College of Charleston. I am currently working towards an Anthropology & Biology major with a minor in Crime, Law, & Society. I really want to go into the forensics field or something similar. I love self-help books, stress baking, and hanging out with my sorority sisters.