This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

If you’re like me and end up mindlessly reaching for the fridge when that evening boredom rolls around, even if you’re not hungry, I have some options for you! These snacks don’t fill you up very much so you can continue eating until your movie ends, you have to go back to studying, or your boredom spell is neutralized by some other distraction.

Frozen fruits

My favorites are blueberries, raspberries, and peaches! Grapes are great, too. (’ve even seen people put lemon juice on them to make them taste like Sour Patch Kids! You could also combine frozen fruit with some yogurt for a more filling (but still nutritious) snack. 

Popcorn

I like to get microwave popcorn with less salt and butter and put my own fixings on it! My favorite toppings are tajin, hot sauce, and garlic powder, but you can load up on any spices you like. They also sell spices made specifically for popcorn, which can be really helpful if you’re not feeling too creative. An air popper is also a fantastic investment (Target sells them for only $18!) if you’re as into popcorn as I am.

Rice cakes

I love topping my rice cakes with goat cheese and honey, or peanut butter and preserves. You can get really creative with these, and they’ll go well with almost any toppings you have on hand!

Cucumbers

I use a twist on my Omi’s Austrian cucumber salad recipe: cut up a cucumber (I like coin-style as well as quartered) and put the pieces in a bowl with garlic powder, dill (optional), and some sort of vinegar (I like red or white wine, but rice vinegar works great too). I’ve also heard people mix this up a little by using lemon juice as their acid and chili powder as their spice, which I can confirm is delicious too! Soy sauce is a great option as well.

Carrots, celery, and bell peppers

I love creating my own little veggie platter and dipping carrots, bell pepper slices, and celery in aioli, ranch, or even vinaigrette. Although baby carrots are easier, I’ve also used long carrots sprinkled with salt if that’s what you have on hand. 

Kale chips

Because they have less fat and more nutrients than regular potato chips, I love to oil up some kale and sprinkle some spices on it before putting it in the oven or air fryer to make them nice and crispy. As for flavors, I usually treat kale chips the same way I do the popcorn—with lots of spices.

Watermelon

This is a pretty obvious one because it’s mostly made of water. If you’re in the mood for something sweet, enjoy as is. To fill a savory craving, try sprinkling tajin or salt on top.

Cora Schipa

C of C '22

Cora is a student at College of Charleston graduating in Spring 2022, studying English with a concentration in Creative Writing and Sociology. She's found joy in being around the people she loves and meeting new people, as well as the outdoors, food, thrifting, good music, traveling, art, and poetry, and believes there's immense power in a connected community of women! Follow her on Instagram @cora.christa.