“My Roanoke Nightmare…” Is It Worth It?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

I was hooked after watching the first episode of Murder House.

Still hooked.

The night that the 6th season of American Horror Story premiered, I remember scrambling to different rooms in my building hoping that one of my friends were tuning in (so I could watch it for myself). This is when I realized how much tension FX managed to create up until the first half of the first episode. There were over 10 teaser videos released to the public prior to premiere night, all in which to leave us guessing, even after the first episode started.

It was finally revealed that the theme for this season was decided as “My Roanoke Nightmare” midway throughout episode one. I wasn’t as surprised as I thought I would be, considering the rumors that have been floating around via internet.

Now, the big question. Was it worth the wait?

If you trust the opinion of a 19-year-old college student, keep reading.

The Interview Structure – I was a bit iffy about the structure of the new season, considering this was the only season that was different in that aspect. I also hate regular shows that are set up in this format, but I will try to be as least biased as I can.

It was still a tad cliché-ish.

Then I started looking at it from a different perspective. I think the similar setting between this season and season one (Murder House) made the paranormal documentary series interesting. It reveals valuable background info and gives the show a more intimate feeling – one that you would expect from the majority of the setting being in a house, accompanied by a small family.

I don’t necessarily think this different formatting is a bad thing, it even creates more character development as the show progresses which is something that I feel AHS lacks in some of its seasons. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give the formatting a 7.

Okay, now for the characters.

We can’t just ignore how brilliant it was of the casting directors to introduce a new actor to the scene – Cuba Gooding Jr.

Not just because it’s refreshing to see a more diverse cast in this season (ha ha), but because Gooding is genuinely a great actor. Playing the part of a pacifistic husband, I think, suits his character (he’s indicated several times that he doesn’t prefer blood and gore: Really?). Gooding has been cast is several films and TV shows, including American Crime Story. If his role in ACS shows any indication of whether or not Gooding will succeed in this show, I think the actor looks promising.

AND THEN THERE’S SARAH PAULSON.

I very much approve of Paulson claiming the female lead herself. Her characters in every single season never cease to amaze me.

I’ve noticed a theme for the characters Paulson portrays in each season, is that she manages to stay alive, while other characters are being murdered more often than not.

She may have been murdered in Hotel, however, she is still included in the show as a ghost. Hopefully this trend continues for this season.

Those are the only two characters that I’m focused on as of now. There isn’t enough character development for the rest of the characters to pass judgment so quickly. As far as casting, I give the new season an 8.5/10.

One last thing I want to touch base on is the overall plot and theme that they have chosen for this season.

To get off track for a second, apparently there is a rumor going around (via Tnternet) that somehow, this season will incorporate everything from the previous seasons. Quite frankly, that terrifies me.

In this particular season, AHS took the show and made a few adjustments, like the documentary series thing going on. My opinion is that, after the last two seasons, American Horror Story has taken a small blow. The theme waiting to be revealed until the very last moment, the change in format of the show, and the difference in characters are all an attempt to bring this show all the way back to the good ol’ days of Murder House (pls).

I like the idea of the lost colony of Roanoke. I think it adds something mysterious to the show and makes me want to watch it even more, considering I didn’t know much about the history of it prior to this season.

For the plot and theme, I rate it 9/10.

I hope this cleared up some of your confusion or convinced you to tune into the show yourself. I would highly recommend watching it. Overall, this season gets a Myalee stamp approval with an 8.1/10 rating.

It was worth the wait.

Hey there! I'm a sophomore here at the College and I'm very interested in pursuing a career in writing.