My Favorite Quotes From Rachel Hollis’s “Girl, Wash Your Face”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

I was raised on self-help books and self-help audio tapes, and I could not be more thankful. My mother always gave me these things in order to help me help myself and to allow me to find my true potential and happiness. “Girl, Wash Your Face” by Rachel Hollis was released a little over a year ago and I thought about reading it for SO long. One day while I was in Target, I saw it and thought “why not”, so I bought it. I am so glad I did because this book is one of the best books I have read in a long while. This book is so eye-opening and definitely worth the read. There were so many times while reading this book that I had to stop and reread a quote or paragraph and just think about what it meant, or more importantly, how those words had just impacted my life and the way I viewed it. This is a book that I will read multiple times and gain something new each time I read it. I highly suggest this book to anyone and everyone.

Throughout this book, there were MANY quotes that really spoke to me or just were a nice reminder. Here are 22 of my favorite quotes from Rachel Hollis’ amazing, amazing book.

1. “You, and only you, are ultimately responsible for who you become and how happy you are.”(intro xi)
  2.  “Life isn’t meant to be merely survived – it’s meant to be lived.”(page 4)
  3.  “If you’re unhappy, that’s on you.(page 5)
  4.  “You are in charge of your own life, sister, and there’s not one thing in it that you’re not allowing to be there.”(page 9)
  5. “When you really want something, you will find a way. When you don’t really want something, you’ll find an excuse.”(page 14)
  6. “Our words have power, but our actions shape our lives.”(page 17)
  7. “The most fundamental thing a woman needs to do before she can take care of anyone else: take care of herself!”(page 29)
  8. “Work just as hard for fun moments, vacation moments, and pee-your-pants-laughing moments as you do for all the other things.”(page 30)
  9.  “The first step toward becoming the best version of yourself is being honest, truly honest, about what makes you tick.”(page 42)
  10. “People will treat you with as much or as little respect as you allow them to.”(page 51)
  11. “Every day you’re choosing who you are and what you believe about yourself, and you’re setting the standards for the relationships in your life. Every day is a chance to start over.”(page 53-54)
  12.  “When it comes to your dreams, no is not an answer.”(page 58)
  13.  “Perception means we don’t see things as they are; we see things as we are.”(page 59)
  14.  “Friends. It’s not about the goal or the dream you have. It’s about who you become on your way to that goal.” (page 69)
  15.  “Give yourself the permission to do the best you can and the grace to be peaceful on the days you miss the mark.”(page 94)
  16. “You can’t blame the past for the things that went wrong if you aren’t also willing to be thankful for the things that went right.”(page 127)
  17. “You – the real you – is not an accident.”(page 132)
  18.  “Someone else’s opinion of you is none of your business.”(page 146)
  19.  “Every year you close a new chapter in your story. Please, please, please don’t write the same one seventy-five times and call it a life.”(page 205)
  20.  “Stop waiting for someone else to fix your life!”(page 212)
  21. “Be honest about who you are and what you need to do to make a change.”(page 213)
  22. Rise up from where you’ve been, scrub away the tears and the pain of yesterday, and start again . . . Girl, wash your face!”(page 213
I am a Sophomore here at the College of Charleston. I am currently working towards an Anthropology & Biology major with a minor in Crime, Law, & Society. I really want to go into the forensics field or something similar. I love self-help books, stress baking, and hanging out with my sorority sisters.