This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Amazon Prime released a new show a few weeks ago called Modern Love, an anthology series based on the New York Times column of the same name. It’s a series of vignettes depicting various love stories, from romantic love to familial love and more. I will admit, I watched all 8 episodes within a night (and may have cried during almost all of them…), so here’s my rankings of all 8 episodes from my least favorite to my favorite (that being said, there’s not really a bad episode in the bunch). 

“So He Looked Like Dad. It Was Just Dinner, Right?”

This episode just made me cringe. It’s about a woman who starts obsessing over a man who reminds her of her father, and he takes her attention in the wrong direction. This episode was just the epitome of “daddy issues” and it was by far the most uncomfortable episode of the series.

“At the Hospital, an Interval of Clarity”

This was a cute episode, but not a particularly memorable one. A woman and a man who were on their second date end up spending the whole night in a hospital, and they get to know each other better over the course of their date gone wrong. It’s not a bad episode, but it’s not a standout one either.

“Rallying to Keep the Game Alive”

This episode focuses on a couple trying to save their marriage through the game of tennis. Tina Fey is one of the leads of this episode which makes you think it would be spectacular, but it feels like it drags out the story longer than it needs to be.

“The Race Grows Sweeter Near Its Final Lap”

This one looks at an older woman reflecting on her relationship with her late husband. It’s the final episode of the season and does a great job tying up the first season, but not enough time was spent on her actual story.

“Hers Was a World of One”

A gay couple is trying to adopt a baby in this episode, and they wind up finding their lives very impacted by the nomadic birth mother. This episode was a personal favorite large in part because of Andrew Scott being the lead of this one (plus a fun cameo in the episode as well), but compared to the next 3 episodes this one is a bit of a lightweight.

“When Cupid is a Prying Journalist”

The episode is centered around an interview with the creator of a dating app on the one relationship he felt was the one that got away. Dev Patel really makes the episode shine and you feel like you’re apart of his story as he tells it.

“When the Doorman is Your Main Man”

This story represents a father-daughter relationship, but it’s between a woman and her doorman. He’s there for her through all the ups and downs of her life, and being the first episode of the show it really brings you into the type of storytelling of the show and gives you characters to connect well with.

“Take Me as I Am, Whoever I Am”

Anne Hathaway is absolutely at her finest in this episode, playing a woman trying to write a description of herself on a dating site that explains her bipolar disorder without scaring off men. It might be the most heartbreaking episode of the show, but it’s also the one that feels the most real and honest out of the bunch; the one that sticks out most in my mind after watching all 8 episodes.

This is what I thought after watching the series. If you haven’t watched Modern Love yet, do yourself a favor and grab a snack, a blanket, and a box of tissues and curl up to enjoy the show!

Full time student, part time awards show predictor, full time recommender of television shows, movies, and books.