Missing Warm Weather? Here’s 10 Songs to Get You In That Summer Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Are you missing warm, sunny weather and long beach days as much as I am? Well, sooner or later the Charleston sun is going to heat up, but for now, here’s a list of songs that’ll get you ready for summer. These songs are in no particular order of importance, but I guarantee you there is a song here for everyone!

For more songs be sure to check out my full summer playlist on Spotify ;) 

Palm Trees – Surfaces

Surfaces are my favorite band to play whenever I want to feel better about anything. This song literally makes you want to sit under a shady palm tree with the sun shining on your face. I had their latest album Horizons on repeat during quarantine and the summer. 10/10 recommend.

Listen Here:

Follow The Ocean – Ziggy Alberts

I have recently been obsessed with Ziggy Alberts, who, in my opinion, is a very underrated artist. The native Australian has the perfect early summer morning acoustic sound. This particular song is one of my favorites as he talks about following the things that you love—like the ocean—to find happiness.

Listen Here:

Tongue Tied – Grouplove

If you have never blasted this song on full volume in your car and screamed the lyrics at the top of your lungs with your best friends, then you better get on it, stat! Do I even have to say more? Best feeling in the world.

Listen Here:

Left Hand Free – Alt-J

Before John B and his besties started a treasure hunt in the Outer Banks, I loved this song. Now, after the show, I love this song even more. Play this song through the streets of Charleston, and hopefully, you will run into the cast filming season two. You never know! #poguelife

Listen Here:

Glory Days – Bruce Springsteen

As a New Jersey native, I had to put Bruce on the list. Although this song was released in 1984, this is a timeless classic that pretty much everyone knows. As it is an anthem to reminisce on the “glory days” it is the perfect song to play at a family barbeque, during a summer road trip, or on a long day at the beach.

Listen Here:

Peach Fuzz – Caamp

During quarantine, my best friend introduced me to this song. I literally could not stop playing it after I listened to it for the first time. This is a perfect “after the beach” song for when the sun is almost setting!

Listen Here:

Electric Love – BØRNS

Obviously, the famous song “Electric Love” was a must-have on this list. Honestly, this song is the perfect feel-good song for really any time of the year, but it feels extra good during the summer ;)

Listen Here:

Fly Rasta – Ziggy Marley

What’s a summer playlist without a little reggae? Bob Marley’s son, Ziggy, cooked up this jamming tune for when you want to pretend that you are vacationing in the tropics. Sounds perfect right?

Listen Here:

Saturday Sun – Vance Joy

I love this song because it has such a fun and upbeat chorus. Every time I hear this song it never fails to give me a nice rush of serotonin. Play this while you are on that morning drive to the beach to start off your day right! Oh, and for sure play it on Saturdays too!

Listen Here:

Badfish – Sublime

This is another great summer reggae song. If you love the classic song “Santeria”—like who doesn’t—then you are bound to love this one just as much! Okay, maybe not as much, but it is still a jam!

Listen Here:

Kiley is currently a junior at the College of Charleston and pursuing a major in Communication and minoring in Dance and Marketing. She is from Ocean City, New Jersey, and loves the summer and going to the beach. Whenever she is not dancing, she is usually hanging out with friends and family, going on long walks, getting coffee, or listening to good music!