This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Kayla Ingle, a freshman from Pelion, SC, has thoroughly ejoyed her time so far here at the College of Charleston. Although, her plans have changed since she has arrived at The College, she wouldn’t change anything.

Brooke: What made you choose the College Of Charleston?

Kayla: I was looking for a college that wasn’t too big or too small and one that wasn’t too far away from home so I could visit my family when I liked. Once I toured the college, I fell in love and it fit the campus size that I wanted and it was just far enough away from home so I could visit on the weekends while also having my independence.

B: Why Greek life?

K: I decided to join greek life to make the most of my college experience. At first I wasn’t planning on rushing, but the greek life page helped me to realize that I should go through recruitment just to see how it would be and I ended up loving it! I’m now a part of Kappa Alpha Theta! Rushing was one of the best decisions that I have ever made!

B: Any advice on rushing?

K: Definitely to stay open-minded, don’t get discouraged while visiting houses because the system definitely works! Stay true to yourself no matter what or even how you think you should act in a certain house.

B: How did you decide on your major?

K: I have always had an idea that my major would be pre-nursing. Since I was little, I have always had a passion for helping people. I would actually try to take care of my parents when they were sick even though I couldn’t really do anything. Interning and job shadowing in hospitals helped me to further my decision.

B: Plans after freshman year?

K: Recently, I got engaged to my boyfriend who is in the military which has definitely changed my plans for after freshman year. I am planning to finish spring semester and possibly transfer to a college near his duty station.

B: Wait you’re engaged?!

K: Yes!! He and I have actually discussed marriage [later] on in our relationship but thought that now would be a better time. Even though we talked about getting engaged, the proposal was definitely still a surprise.

B: How did your parents react?

K: Being the youngest child and the only girl, it was definitely hard on them at first but has gradually turned into excitement.

B: What are you going to miss the most about Charleston?

K: Definitely my roomates and the sense of family that The College has!

B: Will you come back and visit?

K: Yes! Of course! As much as possible!

B: Any advice for incoming freshman?

K: Always take breaks while studying, naps are essential, and never let anyone tell you that you can’t do anything!!

All photos courtesy of Kayla Ingle.  

Hey!! I'm Brooke and a freshman at the College Of Charleston! I love the outdoors, concerts, and dogs! I'm so excited for HerCampus and can't wait to see what it will bring!!