Making a Name for Herself: Sarah English ’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Sophomore, Sarah English, didn’t come to College of Charleston from very far away but she’s ambitious and has made a place for herself at The College.  Not only has she taken on the ardous major of biology with a concentration in molecular biology, but she’s become involved on campus in more ways than one.  I had the chance to talk to her about her involvement on campus and what advice she has for other students as they pursue their college careers.  

Megan: What are you involved in on campus? 

Sarah: I am an active member in Greek Life, College of Charleston Orchestra and High School Relations Chair for CofC Dance Marathon.

M: Who is someone you’ve looked up to during your college career? 

S: It sounds cliche, but even in high school and continuing into my college career, I still continue to admire both my mom and dad. Seeing how much my parents love their careers and how they strive to be the best at what they do, gives me motivation each day to study a little harder for a test or to break my bad habit of procrastination. Looking up to my parents has also made me realize that it shouldn’t really matter what you get in return of your hard work because the real prize is having the opportunity to do something that you love.  

M: What has been your most inspiring moment or memory from being at CofC? 

S: As I am only a sophomore, my memories at CofC are growing each and every day; however, each day is an inspiration for me. My dad attended The College for his undergraduate work and it is a true honor and inspiration to be a legacy for such a historic and amazing school. It gives me goose bumps to think that I am now making my own memories in the same town that gave rise to all the stories my dad used to tell me as a little girl about the College. 

M: What advice would you give to incoming freshmen? 

S: Some advice I would give to incoming freshman is to get involved and take pride in your school. In high school, I was always told that college is the best four years of your life; so far, that holds true. I’ve gotten involved in a wide variety of organizations and clubs, and because of that, my appreciation for the college and the student body as a whole as grown so much. Being involved in a variety of things has shown me that even though we are such a diverse campus, we all share one thing in common and that is this beautiful school. So appreciate the school in which has given us our lifelong friends, our education, and has let us shrive in the field that we love.

M: What piece of wisdom or advice do you try to live by?

S: I have always lived by the quote, “Do what you love and love what you do.” Like I mentioned before, my parents have inspired me pursue a career path in which I will wake up everyday, and be excited to go to work. To me, the paycheck or praise for my hard work will never matter to be because I will be doing something that I love and will always have an appreciation for.  

M: What goals do you have for yourself, as well as for your first year on the Dance Marathon Executive Board? 

S: A goal I had set for myself was to get more involved in Philanthropic work and therefore, why I decided to join Dance Marathon Executive Board. As a member of Phi Mu, I absolutely loved the Dance Marathon Event; I found it so fulfilling and loved the fact that all the money that is raised stays in the local community. For my first year of being on DM Exec, my main goal is to just raise as much awareness as possible in the community about this awesome philanthropy and event. 

Photos courtesy of Sarah English.

A v-neck enthusiast from Greenville, South Carolina, Megan Dunn is a sophomore majoring in Communication and double minoring in Creative Writing and Film Studies. Having always been interested in media, she plans on one day being the female version of Ryan Seacrest. While she’s not writing or working on her campus radio show, Megan can be found binge watching Netflix or quoting Mean Girls.
Born and raised in the northernmost state, Alaska, Marissa flew south to College of Charleston for a little more sun and a little more heat.  She believes a good life involves coffee, puppies, and more coffee and free time is her favorite thing not to have.