Look Charleston Chic this Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Ah, the season of fall is among us. That means us Charlestonians now get to break out our favorite light jackets, scarves, boots, and accessories. Unlike other parts of the U.S., autumn in Charleston tends to be a mix of various types of weather. Mother nature is extremely prominent during this time in our city. Clear and sunny skies with a slight breeze will be bettering your mood one day, and the next it will be torrential down pouring with flood watches. Regardless of Charleston’s notorious seasonal weather, us college women want to keep up with the latest fall fashion and trends during this time of year. Here are some of the top fall 2013 trends that will help you stay fabulous and chic this season (no matter what the weather may be)!

Emerald green

Emerald green is without a doubt the hottest color this season. Pantone, the world-renowned authority on color and provider of color systems, named it color of the year for 2013. Emerald was seen all over the 2013 Fashion Week runway in early September. This color is sure to add flair to any outfit or accessory this fall. Other colors that are extremely popular this fall are bold blue, red, deep purple, orange, fuchsia, grey, chocolate brown, and mustard yellow.

Leather

Leather is another trend that rocked the runway during Fashion Week, and it wasn’t just seen in the shoe wear. Everything leather seems to be the trend this season, and it is in all different forms including jewelry, pants, tops, jackets, and dresses.  Let your inner biker chick reveal herself this fall with these new styles!

Boots, Boots, Boots

It is no surprise that boots are also a huge trend this season, and so many different kinds of them were seen during Fashion Week as well. Although us southern girls tend to stick with our cowgirl boots, try to mix it up with some of these new styles. Not only are knee high boots a huge hit for fall, but other styles such as ankle length boots, wedge boots, and combat boots are trending too. Animal prints and bold colors are always a fun way to spice up an outfit, both of which are also in style this fall. Maybe decide on a pop of color for your boots to go with your fall attire!

Jeweled Hand Clutch

Elle magazine has given this purse the title as one of the best fall bags for 2013. Sometimes the best things really do come in small packages. This adorable hand clutch is just the right size for all of your college woman needs for a night out in Charleston. The jewels add just the right amount of elegance and edginess to any outfit.

Dark Florals

No need to be sad that you can no longer wear cute floral sundresses because summer is over. Floral is back and better than ever for fall 2013, but with darker tones for the season. These trendy patterns have more of a moonlit, romantic, vintage feel than those of summer florals. Still, they remain a hot choice for any occasion during autumn.

Pleated Skirts

Pleated skirts are making a comeback this season with inspiration from the 70s and 80s. Skirts aren’t just for the springtime anymore, ladies. This pleated pattern is just right for a job interview, internship, sorority meeting, or work. Don’t be fooled though; pleated skirts are not just for professional wear. These trendy items can add an edgy element to any fall outfit this season.  Leather pleated skirts are a huge hit too!

Originally from West Virginia, Tori Williams is a senior at the College of Charleston in South Carolina majoring in Communication, and minoring in International Studies and Dance. Tori is currently the editor-in-chief and a featured writer for the Her Campus CofC chapter, as well as an editorial intern with Charleston Magazine. She also dances with Dance FX Charleston's performance company and through the College of Charleston. When she's not busy, Tori loves to read, run, and do hot yoga. She hopes to someday be an editor and writer for a big time magazine.
Camilla States is a member of the class of 2015 at The College of Charleston.  She hails from the seaside town of Gloucester, Massachusetts, where she enjoys spending her summers on both land and sea.  A Communications major also pursuing a minor in Political Science, Camilla aspires for a future career in broadcast or print journalism. She is also studying Modern Standard Arabic, with hopes of one day becoming proficient in the language. From a young age, Camilla has held a fascination for world geography and foreign cultures.  She hopes to someday traverse the world, from New England to New Zealand and everywhere in between.