Linnell Ray ’18, Sigma Delta Tau VP of Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Name: Linnell Ray

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Columbia, SC

How did you end up at the College of Charleston?

“I ended up at the College of Charleston [in part] because my parents wanted me to get a liberal education [instead of going to an art school].”

I know that you’re involved with Sigma Delta Tau here at the College; can you tell us a little about your sorority?

“SDT has been at the College of Charleston for about eight years, and our core values are to empower young women. We are the smallest chapter on campus, which allows us to be closer than [many] chapters. Nationally, Sigma Delta Tau is a Jewish sorority but we are not religiously affiliated on campus. We also raise money in many ways for the organization Prevent Child Abuse America.”

How did you get involved in Greek life, and more specifically in Sigma Delta Tau?

“My sister and mother originally persisted on me trying Greek life (which I was not so excited about at first) in the Fall of 2015. I always knew that I did not want to be the stereotypical sorority girl. Towards the end of recruitment week, I decided that I did want to join a Greek organization and ended up choosing SDT because they were smaller, and the girls that I had talked to earlier in the week had similar qualities to mine. I could see myself hanging out and becoming friends with these girls.”

You’re currently the recruitment chair for the sorority; how did you end up in this position?

“On the night of initiation, the new member educators approached me and said that they noticed a lot of leadership qualities in me and that I could succeed as the recruitment chair for our sorority. [They told me] that I should apply for the position. At this point, I had only been involved in SDT for about two months, and was a little surprised that the older girls were approaching me for this position. I was not aware what this would entail at the time, but I applied anyway. The application was lengthy, and little did I know that I also had to go in front of a board and be interviewed. Luckily, I passed the interview and application with flying colors, and was accepted as the new Vice President of Recruitment for Sigma Delta Tau.”

What kind of responsibilities does this type of position within the organization encompass?

“This position holds an incredible amount of responsibility within the organization because we are so small. There are so many details that go into Fall and Spring recruitment, and it is up to me to plan it all. From the outfits to the decorations to the venue, everything must be perfect so we can impress as many potential new members as possible [to join our sisterhood].”

What would be your advice for any future or current Cougars that are planning on becoming involved with Greek life here at Charleston?

“For any future Cougars trying to decide if they should try out Greek life on campus I would say to give it a shot. That’s what I did and I have never been as happy [as I am] or had as many close friends as I do now. You never know until you try!”

Northern girl falling in love with the South; loves traveling, the ocean, and a good cup of Chai.  If she's not taking notes in class or throwing a javelin at track practice, you can probably find her at the beach. 
Born and raised in the northernmost state, Alaska, Marissa flew south to College of Charleston for a little more sun and a little more heat.  She believes a good life involves coffee, puppies, and more coffee and free time is her favorite thing not to have.