This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Skincare in the past few years has absolutely exploded.  Not only is there a huge market with a skincare product for seemingly every reason and time of day, but as I’ve become an adult woman it is expected of me to have a whole routine for my skin.  

That said, I am not a routine person.  Having chronic ADD and just simple laziness makes the idea of a routine with multiple steps seem too large of a task. I mean, I can just wash my face and call it a day, right?

Surprisingly, over the last few months, I found out that it can be almost that simple.  After some trial and error, I have found a routine that is both perfect for my skin and my energy level to complete it regularly.

In the mornings, after brushing my teeth, I reach for a piece of the Coalface facial cleanser bar cut for me at Lush. This cleanser is great for me because I have very oily blemish prone skin, which this bar combats along with calming the skin and lightly exfoliating it. I lather my hands, rub my face, rinse, and dry. Then, I go for my morning moisturizer. I use the Shea Moisture African Black Soap Balancing Moisturizer that also has tea tree oil and Tamarind Extract.  I heard about this from Youtuber Gabriel Zamora and have been in love with it for months! This is from Target (also available at Walmart, Ulta, Sally Beauty, etc) and it is also really good for oily/combination, blemish-prone skin while aiming to help calm and balance it.  I simply scoop a pea sized amount out of the jar, rub it on the tips of my fingers, and apply to my face.

At night, I use the Sleepy Face cleansing bar from Lush that contains cocoa butter (which always leaves my face smelling delicious), lavender, and other ingredients that melt the makeup and dirt away from the day and makes your skin oh-so-soft and ready for bed.  I usually complete this step in the shower right before I hop out. To moisturize at night, I use pure vitamin E oil that I picked up from CVS (and is also available in multiple stores). I use this to help reduce scarring on my face as well as to moisturize and soften it.  I use this at night because it can be sticky, and wearing it throughout the day isn’t ideal.

For my skin, I like to use the products that will help with my oiliness in the morning so that I stay oil free all day.  At night, I use the products that focus on softening, rejuvenating, and perfecting my skin. Like most women, I also use a face mask 1-2 times a week to unwind and relax when I find a little extra time.  The refrigerated masks from Lush always feel amazing, but I also like to treat myself to cheap sheet masks from Forever 21 and Victoria’s Secret.

Of course, the products that I use for my skin are not perfect for all skin types and can be easily exchanged.  The basis of my skin care routine is:  wash, moisturize, and go. I’ve found that my skin has seen major improvements by just following this routine, and it is super easy for even the laziest girls. With only 2 steps, it’s hard to forget one!

Sources

https://www.pexels.com/photo/photo-of-woman-with-lotion-on-hand-1368692/

https://www.pexels.com/photo/close-up-photo-of-woman-with-black-and-purple-eye-shadow-1475426/

https://www.pexels.com/photo/woman-holding-black-mask-373939/

I am a Junior at the College of Charleston working towards a Bachelor's degree of Science in Elementary Education. Along with writing for HerCampus CofC, I am a member of a religious group on campus, and am in the leadership of the Sexual Assault Awareness Committee. Other than that I really enjoy exploring what Charleston has to offer, and you'll have to read my articles for more!