#INSTALIST: The Virtual Fashion Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

What do you get when you put together your favorite magazine, most envied bloggers, and your go-to form of social media?  Teen Vogue’s Instalist!  As we all flock to our Instagrams for creative expression and style inspiration, it’s no surprise Teen Vogue and their contracted advertisers are following along.  But what Teen Vogue is doing is more than just posting pictures for self-promotion on Instagram – they are in the process of creating a full-fledged styling community.  

Early this month Teen Vogue launched Instalist, “Teen Vogue’s Instagram A-list,” which comprises of ten Instagrammers chosen by the editorial team of Teen Vogue as their “Emerging Style Influencers”.  Some may be familiar faces, such as beauty and style vloggers Amanda Steele (@MakeupbyMandy24), Allie Evans (@AllieMarieEvans), and Jenn Im (@imjennim) better known on YouTube as Clothes Encounters.  I was already following these three, which is how I came across this innovative effort of Teen Vogue.  Together, the ten Emerging Style Influencers build a following of an additional 1.6 million viewers for Teen Vogue and its sponsors.

What I am most excited to share with you is the discovery I stumbled upon today when refreshing my Instagram feed this afternoon.  With fashion week season in full swing Instalist is putting on their own fashion show on Instagram happening RIGHT NOW!  The ten exclusive Instagrammers wear clothing from Teen Vogue’s advertisers such as 7 for All Mankind, DKNY, and Billabong, Instagram a snapshot of their outfit showing how they style a specific theme, and send you on to the next girl’s Instagram!  This “fashion show” began on February 19, and continues until Friday, February 21.  Each day at 4pm the pictures are uploaded to reveal their take on this spring’s biggest trends.

The best part about Teen Vogue’s Instalist?  All of us can take a walk on this virtual runway!  After the trend has been revealed, post your own style inspired Instagrams and join the feed by hashtagging #instalist and maybe you can become Teen Vogue’s next Emerging Style Influencer!

Sources:

http://www.adweek.com/news/press/teen-vogue-launches-native-ad-play-instagrammers-155425

http://nativemobile.com/teen-vogue-brings-native-ads-instagram-4695

Kaylee is a sophomore at the College of Charleston from Franklin, Virginia.  She has a passion for all of the arts from writing to dance to fashion.  Hoping to one day pursue a career as a museum curator, she is planning to double major in Arts Management and Historic Preservation with a minor in Communication.  Outside of Her Campus, Kaylee is the executive assistant of the CofC Fashion Club and a member of Circle K.