This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

With Valentine’s Day approaching fast, I see many of my friends excited to spend some quality time with their significant other while figuring out their plans for the day. My plans on the other hand are not really going to vary on the 14th of February and that’s okay. 

Now I’ve tried many different dating apps to see if one worked better than the other for my personal preference but to no success. I’ve found that the “rapid-fire” format to many apps is not for me as I have met many people on there simply looking for hook-ups which really isn’t my style. I’m old fashioned, what can I say? I value conversation and connection when I meet people that typically are not found through a single glance at a profile. Every now and then I will try again to see if I’m just being closed-minded in my approach but I just end up with the same results. 

Instead of hovering over my phone waiting for a message from a stranger, I’ve discovered so much about myself and how I interact with people. I have learned that I am a people pleaser who hates pointless conversations, I always want to jump into deep conversations about the future. My love language is acts of service and I find so much joy in cooking and making playlists for the people I care about. If I’m talking a lot during a show or movie, it means that I really love it and hope that you will too by giving you background information that you didn’t ask for. I overthink way too much and will text you multiple times for reassurance that you didn’t forget about me. I hate having people mad at me because I will beat myself up for things I had no control over. I hate when people make plans and then back out at the last minute. I am a detail-oriented person who when making plans needs a time and place for when we are hanging out. I am super passionate about mental health, cooking, art, and music and I am constantly integrating it where I can into projects. I love supporting my friends in their personal endeavors and will always find time to go see them. 

I am in no way saying that dating apps are bad, I’m just saying that they are not the right fit for me at this time in my life. I’m not going to rush into a relationship simply because everyone around me is in one. Currently, I am perfectly happy with having this time to myself because it allows me to learn more about myself while pushing myself to try new things on my own terms.

Howdy! My name is Julia Brown, and I’m a senior studying Elementary Education with minors in Music and Sociology. In my free time, I like to listen to music, drink lots of coffee, and spot dogs on the street. I enjoy writing advice articles, music and movie reviews, and ways to make the most of your time on campus!