Hero 2
Hero 2
her campus media
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

If I have learned one thing over this past year, it would be that certainty is an illusion. Some things we think are promised or guaranteed, but in reality, they are not. For example, my heart longs to travel, and I planned to start that journey this summer overseas taking classes. Due to the pandemic, it got canceled. Naturally, sadness overcame my body. I thought about this past year and the things I learned. What could I take away from this? Then I realized that this pandemic has taught me nothing is guaranteed. Certainty is simply an illusion. 

No need to dwell on the fact that plans changed. There is nothing I can do to fix it. No need to waste time being upset about the unfixable situation. This year has been hard on many individuals, and there can always be good if you find it. Did you find a new hobby this past year? Did life teach you something about yourself? Whatever it may be, if you look hard enough, you can find it. 

It can be challenging to allow your thoughts to be fluid. To not overthink and to let the future unravel itself. I realized this past year that the only thing I have control over is myself, and all the outside factors in my life are not guaranteed. 

Try to remember a time in your life when you felt entirely lost and uncertain only to experience a delightful outcome. 

I challenge you to embrace the uncertainty and look hard for the good things in life. What did you learn this past year?

I am a freshman at the College of Charleston and absolutely love this city. I am an English EDEN major and plan to travel and teach after graduation!