This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

This February take a page from Selena Gomez’s book and kill ‘em with kindness!  Who are we going after with kindness? The answer, shockingly, is ourselves.

“Fat Talk Free February” is a fun and catchy name for a very empowering movement taking place all over college campuses. “Fat talk” is a term to represent all the derogatory things we say about ourselves, specifically towards our outward appearance.  Pledging to be fat talk free means you accept a challenge much greater than you think. While it seems like you are simply just opting to stop saying negative things about yourself you’re actually challenging yourself to change your perception. I think a lot of us can relate to a moment where we didn’t feel our most confident and even though someone tried to tell us we were amazing we convinced ourselves otherwise. And often times we unfairly compare ourselves to other people. How can we pin ourselves against others like that? We are all so different that there could never be a scale vast big to measure our self worth. Unfortunately, we can be our own worst enemies and worst critic, but imagine what would happen if we altered these thoughts? It is not a movement of narcissism it’s a movement about positive self-perception.

Of course this seems much easier said than done. Trust me, I understand this all too well.

I will be the first to admit that I am too comfortable with shading myself both in my head and out loud. I was the girl who would accept a compliment with one in return or negate the compliment altogether to make it disappear. It took me almost twenty years to realize both responses were the wrong way to react. It has also taken me almost twenty years to look in the mirror and smile at the girl looking back at me. I wish I had seen beyond the mirror all the times I didn’t like the reflection. If I had the ability to go back and change the way I perceived myself I would but because I can’t go back to change things I will move forward instead.

I am taking the pledge.

And I hope you will join me, let’s live “fat talk” free this February and beyond that. Let’s strive to live out our days with positive thoughts and confidence.

Hey, my name is Rebecca Steele and I am a sophomore at the College of Charleston-go cougs! I am majoring in Communications and minoring in Marketing; I am hoping to join the fashion and beauty industry in the future. I was born and raised in Fort Mill, South Carolina, and spent my time in dance classes, in musicals, and Future Business Leaders of America meetings. At the college I am currently involved with Cru an on campus ministry organization and I am a member of Phi Mu. In my free time here you can catch me brunching, walking to the battery, and swatching lipsticks on my hand at Sephora.