Career

I Don’t Know What I’m Doing After College and That’s Okay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Coming into college, I had my heart set on becoming a daycare owner. I just knew that it was my life’s goal and a career I would definitely see myself loving. Fast forward two years and probably 6 major changes later, I’ve realized that I have no set career in mind. I have an idea of what I want to do, but there’s no real job that’s jumping out to me, and that’s okay. We always hear that college is a time to find yourself, and because of this, I believe it’s truly okay not to know what you want to do after you graduate. If you do know, that’s fine too, of course, but this is for those who don’t.

It can seem like you’re wasting your time in college if you don’t know what you want to do yet, but honestly, it’s all part of the journey. Some of the experiences that have helped guide me to my two current majors happened outside the classroom. You’re always learning; you never stop learning. This includes the time you spend learning things while just being at college. You learn a lot about yourself while you’re away, and what you learn can be helping you decide what you really want to do in your life. But that doesn’t mean you have to have a set plan in stone.

You shouldn’t be too hard on yourself if you don’t have an answer to that dreaded question. There’s still a lot of adults who don’t know what they want to do with their lives as well. And besides, we’re still young. We’re only 18, 19, 20, 21, or 22; we have our whole lives ahead of us. You could wake up one day and suddenly realize that while you’re not sure what to do, you know for a fact what you’re currently doing is not working out for you. And then you’re off on another journey of finding yourself, but it shouldn’t be stressful. What’s meant to be is meant to be, and maybe when you’re least expecting it, you’ll find out exactly what you believe is your right choice. It may occur at graduation while everybody else you know already knows what they’re going to do next. But trust me, once you know, you’ll know, and there will be no doubt that this is for you.

An iced coffee addict who likes to color, read, debate, and watch YouTube. An African American Studies & Women and Gender Studies Double Major with a minor in Poli Sci who has dreams of doing advocacy work.