The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Every true fashion girl knows that with fall coming, the time to revamp your wardrobe starts now. You can’t go around wearing bright florals in the middle of October, now can you? (You totally can, fashion is each person’s own expression of themselves.) 

Despite that, it can be overwhelming to want to dress for fall but not having any idea where to begin. 

Now, you may be thinking, “What colors?” “Any specific fabric?” “HELP!” All of that is very valid, but look no further, we got you. Let’s look at some of the must have items to build your perfect fall closet!

1. Black crochet. The indie-sleaze trend is coming back – the aesthetic being off the shoulder, messy yet effortlessly beautiful and seductive. Think “rockstar girlfriend” but more 2009. Crochet itself has been coming back into trend over the past year, but now that it’s witchy season, black is the go to color. Preferably oversized, layering tops if you want to give the full effect!
  2. Loafers. Emma Chamberlain herself has been sporting loafers for years, but this year specifically they have regained full popularity. Loafers are the perfect fall shoe – pair them with a long dark skirt and lettuce trim white socks for that gorgeous “90s cool girl” look! 
  3. Maroon and brown colors. One of the most important things to remember when dressing for a season is the color scheme. You do not see a lot of pastel pink the week before Halloween. Instead, in fall, any sort of color you’d find on the changing leaves in the trees are free-reign, specifically the browns and reds. The great thing about fall colors is they look good on all skin tones due to their neutral palette. Espresso brown is particularly in style this year, and the darker red you go, the better. Also, if you don’t have that “fall weather”, you can always give the look by sporting these colors!
  4. Bell sleeved tops. If you’re looking for that perfect witchy top, look no further. All you need to do is look for long sleeve tops that fan out at the end. You can do this with cardigans and layering pieces as well! Bell sleeves give the silhouette of a true Stevie Nicks fan, and leave the wearer feeling especially powerful and beautiful with all its flowy glory.
  5. Chunky necklaces. Layering jewlery can take your outfit from “pretty good” to “revolutionary”. All you gotta do is find (or make!) the pieces. As for the jewelry itself, big pendants, such as crosses or hearts, on a twine/leather string are all over TikTok and Depop. The bigger the pendant the better. Also, make sure the chain lengths are all different, so that they don’t all fall on top of each other! You can either buy these or make them with supplies from your local craft store. And don’t be afraid to mix and match colors; there’s a boldness in not being afraid to take chances in fashion, and this is a great place to start!
Audrey Kelly

C of C '25

I am inspired by all things fashion and beauty! Thrifting is my favorite hobby, especially if I'm listening to Taylor Swift while doing it. My main goal is to spread body and self positivity for all genders through writing and fashion as much as possible.