This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

At first, staying home during time off from school or work might sound upsetting, but when you live in Charleston, SC, there is so much to do and explore!

Try something new, like yoga!

There are many opportunities to try something new nearby. You can rent kayaks and paddle boards in the city, but there are also free options. Many yoga studios in the city have free community yoga classes for locals. My favorite studio, Charleston Power Yoga, has free classes every Friday at 4 pm that are first come first serve.

South Carolina Aquarium

Learn about wildlife at the South Carolina Aquarium! You can spend the day at the aquarium with a normal ticket or take part in their special activities, such as feeding the fish! It is open from 9-5 daily. More information on prices and the facility can be found on their website.

Explore our beautiful and historic city

There is so much to do and see by just walking around! You can walk to the Battery or the beautiful historic neighborhoods. The city also has a rich history. There are various self-walking tours you can do around the city to learn more about it.

Go to the beach

This one is kind of obvious, but on a sunny day, you can take a day trip to Folly Beach. If you don’t have a car, try Green Taxi or other car services, such as Uber.

Do some self-care!

Go get your nails done or do them yourself! You can also find some great articles on DIY facemasks on HerCampus to try out.

Movie marathons

Love Harry Potter? Make the weekend a movie marathon! Explore the many options on streaming services and use your free time to binge watch that show you’ve been waiting to have time for.

Stay a night or two in a hotel

If you are looking to treat yourself a little, spend a night at an inexpensive hotel in Charleston. A lot of hotels in the area also have indoor pools, so this would give you access to them.

See, a staycation isn’t so bad! Actual vacations can be stressful, so use this opportunity to chill out and relax.

Julia Mimo

C of C '22

I am a junior at the College of Charleston studying theater with a concentration in scenic design. I am an out-of-state student from Connecticut. I love spending time outside (especially to find dogs to pet!) and I love being active!