This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

If you have curly or wavy hair you know how exhausting and unpredictable it can be. You can hug your curls with the best products only for it to look neglected once you step into humidity. The uncontrollable frizz can leave many hopeless and in the heat-product aisle of Target. I was that person for years because let’s be honest, having curls can be expensive. The guessing game of which products will work can quickly burn a hole in your already empty wallet. My hope is to make you confident with your curls while on that college budget! 

Purchase a Wide Comb Hairbrush

Totally worth it and an excuse to go to TJ Maxx. Your curls are technically little families that bind together to make silky waves, however, a normal brush separates the families often leaving your hair frizzy. Use the wide comb hairbrush in the shower while you are conditioning to see the best results!

Curl Defining Conditioner

I am honestly embarrassed to say how much money I have wasted on finding a curl defining conditioner that I love. However recently I have been obsessed with Not Your Mothers Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower & Mango Butter Curl Defining Conditioner which can be purchased almost anywhere for $8.99!

Leave-In Conditioner

An absolute must and worth spending the extra dollars on! Curly hair needs extra moisture in order to get that bouncy look or they’ll break apart and do what we all hate — frizz! After the shower, I rake Ouai Haircare through my damp hair (the travel size is only $12..the normal size can get expensive, but we are on a budget ladies!) I then take my loyal DevaCurl B’Leave-In Miracle Curl Plumper and instead of raking it through my hair, I scrunch my curls up towards my scalp. (DevaCurl brand can be pricey but this texture and volume gel can be found on Amazon for $17.)

Anti-Frizz Mist

Before drying my hair I spray Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Hold & Shine Moisture Mist from my roots down to block any frizz! Shea Moisture is a great brand with most of its products being around $9 at Target.

T-shirt to Dry 

Ok, I know TikTok has taught many to use a diffuser to dry your curls but a t-shirt does just the same! The reason why towels are your enemy with curly hair is that the material is often too rough and can dry out your hair. After drenching your damp hair in products flop your curls upside down onto a t-shirt, tie them up, and allow them to dry!

P.S we all have bad hair days, don’t let a few stop you from living your best life!

Iris Neubecker is a junior at the College of Charleston, pursuing a degree in Communication and International Studies. Originally from Boston MA, Iris enjoys finding the best coffee shops in Charleston to study at, food photography and chasing a good sunset. Iris is currently planning a month long road trip across the USA!