This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

As it starts to feel more and more like summer, it’s time to come out of hiding. If you’re like me, when the temperature rises, you immediately become more active. You resume your workout routine, you sit outside at a coffee shop and do your school work, and going out on the town over the weekend is more appealing. What comes with all of this is my motivation to look my best. When it is below fifty degrees in Charleston, I find that I slack off a bit on my beauty routine. But now, as the temperature rises, I’m back to hitting the gym, growing my hair long, and improving my skin for a summertime glow. The appearance of my skin is something I have always been conscious about, especially during the warm months. To me, there is nothing worse than getting a pimple, sometimes multiple, at the wrong time. Finally, after years of struggling with my skin, I’ve adopted a skincare routine that gives me the clear summer glow I love. Here are a few tips to prevent those annoying breakouts:

1. Use only gentle products

As someone who struggled with acne, this tip would annoy me the most when I did my research. I craved something powerful that would burn my skin off so I could start all over. This is NOT what you want. Your skin is one of your biggest accessories, you must be gentle with it.

2. Find out what skin type you have

This one is pretty self-explanatory. If you have oily skin, use products for oily skin. If you have dry skin, use products for dry skin.

3. Use a three-step solution

This tip improved my skin more than any other. The right face wash, toner, and moisturizer keep your pores clean and hydrated.  

4. Use paper towels to dry your face

The last thing you want to do is dry your clean face with a towel with a bunch of bacteria on it. By drying your face with a paper towel, you won’t have to worry about what you are smearing on your face.

5. Do a face mask once a week

I recommend the Sephora sheet masks. Buy three get one free!

6. Oil control

If you’re like me and you can feel the oil build up on your face throughout the day, you must take care of it. Excess oil is most likely causing your breakouts. I recommend oil blotting sheets.

7. Wash your face immediately after you workout

Think about the sweat seeping into your pores.

8. DO NOT PICK AT PIMPLES

I can not stress this enough. Picking at pimples leads to scarring and even more breakouts due to bacteria reaching the open skin. I am a picker too, but you can resist.

Enjoy your clear summertime glow!

Freshman at College of Charleston