Harry Styles performing at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Francis Specker / CBS

How Harry Styles Actually Brings Love on Tour

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

In 2021, everyone’s heard of Harry Styles. Aside from my professor who lovingly asked, “who?” after I returned from his tour, most people who have paid attention to modern media since 2010 have at least heard the name. While I’m usually the first person to be skeptical of all things popular, Harry has his high standard of fame for a reason. His humble beginnings started in the boyband we all knew and loved, One Direction. One Direction gave Harry not just his start into fame, but it also turned him into a veteran performer at the age of 16. One Direction’s career lasted five years for four total tours, giving the boys about three-and-a-half years total on the road. It came as no surprise to anyone that when Harry started his solo career, he already knew how to captivate an audience. His first tour, very obviously titled “Live on Tour,” was the springboard into the grammy-winning singer we all adore today. 

A playful take on the name, Love on Tour was announced in 2020 as his second worldwide jaunt. Although it was initially postponed due to COVID-19, Harry has been back on the road since early September, giving memorable performance after memorable performance. He’s well seasoned as a performer, and it shows in his organization. The visuals for this tour are the most developed we’ve seen from him, following a 1970’s style concept with particular attention to lighting and color schemes. His stage presence is the most dynamic we’ve seen yet; sparkly, bright outfits, interactions with the crowd, and big, bold, happy dance moves. 

If you’re a Harry fan yourself, you may remember when he released his first single from his second album, Lights Up. Lights Up had one central theme: self identity. Harry asks the age-old question: do you know who you are? This question does something that most artists do not- it allows Harry to explore his identity with his audience. It breaks down a barrier between performer and fan that allows the audience to feel closer to him. When you’re in the crowd, there’s a sense of belonging that he’s able to foster that many performers are unable to. Harry makes one thing clear about his shows- everyone in that space is equal. (Except maybe the people with pit tickets – I will forever be jealous). The trademark saying of Love on Tour is “treat people with kindness,” which is also the song title in which he spends his time on stage dancing with pride flags. It’s all of these things that he does where he is able to create a safe space while also giving his fans the outlet we all needed. I mean, What Makes You Beautiful can’t be one of his favorite songs, but he gives us all the chance to scream the lyrics out loud. 

Early Childhood Education | Psychology 4th year student at CofC, fan of cats, coffee, and New Girl