How Giuliana Rancic Offended a Ton of People…and What She Did to Fix it

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Anyone who watches E!’s popular program, Fashion Police is aware of the shows’ controversy. Fashion Police, once led by the late Joan Rivers, revolves around what celebrities are wearing. Every detail from the shoes to the hair is picked and pulled apart for the entertainment of others. While not all celebrities are bashed for their look, there are nice comments made on the show, most comments are jokes.  The comments made on the show are typically deemed funny by viewers, though those who are being judged and laughed at don’t always agree. Unfortunately, compliments don’t get ratings.

However, on Monday night’s Oscars, Giuliana Rancic made a comment about Zendaya Coleman’s locs at the did not go unheard. Giuliana claimed that Zendaya’s hair “smells like patchouli oil… or weed.” You can watch the joke here.

The joke hit home for the singer and actress, who is mixed. She took to her Instagram account to express her sorrows. “I was hit with ignorant slurs and pure disrespect,” she wrote. “To say that an 18 year old woman with locs must smell of patchouli oil or ‘weed’ is not only a large stereotype, but outrageously offensive.” After listing the names of highly successful people with locs, Zendaya continued, “My wearing my hair in locs on an Oscar red carpet was to showcase them in a positive light, to remind people of color that our hair is good enough“.

To which Giuliana replied on her twitter account: “Dear @Zendaya, I’m sorry I offended you and others. I was referring to a bohemian chic look. Had NOTHING to do with race and NEVER would!!!”

The apology, which seemed pretty effortless and insincere, was preceding a more appropriate response. Giuliana took to video to express what appeared to be a truly meaningful apology.

Zendaya responded once more on her Instagram account with an acceptance of the apology: 

What do you think? Was what Giuliana said not offensive to you? Or are you glad she made an apology? Let us know your thoughts!

Catherine Yetman is a sophomore from New Jersey. She loves yoga and spending her free time at the beach. She is studying psychology at the College of Charleston in hopes of becoming a psychologist one day.