This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

As we face the coronavirus era, we also find ourselves facing another serious plight: maskne. 

Maskne, acne caused by face masks, is itchy AF, reminds me of middle school, and frankly, has got to go. Here is how to rid yourself of maskne. 

Step 1: Stop wearing makeup (for now). 

Think back to 6 years ago. Oops! I meant 6 months ago, during the lockdown. Remember when all we did was walk, bake bread, and — ding-ding — not wear a single drop of makeup? The “Quarantine Glow” from allowing our skin to finally breathe was real, and we can’t let this valuable lesson go unnoticed. 

So, for the time being, put the brush and foundation down. The world can’t see your red hots and white mounds through your mask or via Zoom, anyways. 

Step 2: Break your rainy day fund for my ~miracle cream~.

If I was Oprah and I could give the audience one gift, it would be this. This stuff is from the heavens and yes, one of the three items I’d take on a deserted island. Drum roll please… *Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Cream Hydrating Face Moisturizer* 

Yes, this is a little more pricey than the Cetaphil bottle in the Walgreens dollar section. Usually, my parents give me a bottle for Christmas or my birthday. Yet, in mid-September, I found my bottle, and skin, dry. Being a poor college girl myself, I thought I’d be fine with the cheap stuff — HA! My chin and lip looked like a fresh path of red brick. 

Two to three days after I got real with myself and splurged, voila — less red, less pointy, and on a clear, (non-brick) path to recovery. Ladies, this stuff is worth every. single. penny. Buy your bottle for $52 from Sephora on King Street or online. You can thank me later. 

Step 3: Elope with your routine, ASAP.

Alexa, play Canon in D because we have a bride in the house. Yes, today is your wedding day and your groom is your skincare routine. For the rest of your (COVID-19) life, you will live by these vows.

1. I will kiss the makeup goodbye. And if I don’t, I will never sleep with it on.

2. I will spritz toner and apply a dollop of ~miracle cream~ morning and night. 

3. I will hydrate or die-drate and get enough rest.

4. I will not rely on the cheap face masks from 5 Secret Santas ago.

5. I will not eat solely trash, despite how delicious ramen and vending machine candy are.

For as long as my (COVID-19) life shall live. 

Share what maskne tips worked for you!

XO,

Char

Charlotte Heinrich is a freshman living in Charleston, South Carolina. When Charlotte isn't writing her latest story, you can find her dancing around her dorm or buried in clothes at the local thrift store. Reach out to Charlotte on Instagram, @charlottefh.