This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Not everyone is in a great spot to spend money on the holidays, even with a weekend of Black Friday through Cyber Monday. Remember, while you may feel pressure to buy everyone a Christmas gift, everyone understands your position as a college student. Here are some easy tips on how to spoil your friends and family without breaking the budget.

Limit your list to your immediate family

Going home for Christmas should be a fun and stress-free time to feel accomplished after exams. Don’t overwork or overspend on Christmas shopping even when you feel the need to buy everyone in your family a sweet gift. The immediate family should be at the top of your list when deciding who to shop for. Not only are they the easiest to shop for, but a small gift for each of them will be appreciated. 

Secret Santa’s your new best friend

Some families have traditions for secret Santa or white elephant parties. If you want to participate, only having to buy one gift takes a huge weight off of your shoulders. Secret Santa’s are also especially great for roommates and friend groups.

DIY it

Don’t be afraid to fall back on your elementary school crafts days, where you made ornaments and cups for your mom and dad. A handmade gift will mean the world to them. DIY can be easy, quick, and cheap for families and friends without a stressful hassle. Put together a little exam care package for your friends and roommates to help them get through the end of the semester.

Remember, it’s the thought that counts. 

Christmas is about being together with your loved ones, no matter what. Spending time together, and getting some much needed post-exam sleep, is what all college students should be focusing on this Christmas Break. Smalls gifts, handmade or not, will mean the world to your family and friends, but keep the stress out of it. 

Hi! I'm Grace. I'm a sophomore from Rock Hill, SC studying Psychology with a minor in Crime, Law and Society. I like writing about politics, especially around women's healthcare issues and LGBTQ+ issues and news!