Halloween Movie Review: Rocky Horror Picture Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

As we see the fall season approaching rapidly, it is now time to pull out all the classic films we all know and love. Well, most of us at least know, but there are still some people out there who have never seen movies that I would consider classics. Meet my roommate Sarah, who has never experienced the cult film that is The Rocky Horror Picture Show. We decided one night to sit her down to watch the movie for the first time to give it a glowing or questionable review. 

We had plans to go see a shadow cast performance later in the month, so it was essential for her to see the film beforehand so she had an idea of what was going to happen. The two performances are completely different experiences for an individual, even so. 

Now, I have seen this movie way too many times, so I sat and watched it with her to answer any questions she could possibly have. It began, and she was surprised that it opened to a wedding scene as it was a completely different opening than she thought it would be. I had to warn her about how quickly the vibe shifts from a light-hearted movie about a couple happy in love to the madness that ensues when they stumble upon the castle of a “Sweet Transvestite”. When Frank-N-Furter first enters, Sarah was confused until the robe came off. Then she said, “Alright then, proceed.” I had to tell her that one notable thing about this movie is that it is consistently unraveling the background information of its characters, so you do not get all the answers right away. It keeps you watching. She was on this train, and it was moving on quickly.

When it came to Act III, Sarah explained how she was just becoming more and more confused as it took a sudden left turn after the ballad of “I’m Going Home.” Riff Raff and Magenta came bursting into the door for the final action-packed scene to remind you that this is a “Science Fiction/Double Feature” that is going to keep you on the edge of your seat. 

Sarah’s Final Thoughts: “I’m still confused, if not even more confused than when we started.”

Howdy! My name is Julia Brown, and I’m a senior studying Elementary Education with minors in Music and Sociology. In my free time, I like to listen to music, drink lots of coffee, and spot dogs on the street. I enjoy writing advice articles, music and movie reviews, and ways to make the most of your time on campus!