This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

All around us, we can sense that it’s that time of the year. The leaves are a golden brown, the air is getting crisp, and sweater weather is upon us. However, some of us seem just to want to skip right down the calendar to Christmas. Yes, I am aware of the fantastic festivities associated with the “most wonderful time of the year,” but let’s not forget the holiday that celebrates everything wicked and wild. It seems that children have claimed this holiday as their own, but we can all admit to loving the thrills and chills of Halloween.

This is a unique day that allows every person to be anything they want to be. Also, consuming huge amounts of candy is not only encouraged but expected. Creativity rules the night as bright and lavish costumes fill the streets. Differences are put aside, and judgment is put on pause as everyone indulges in their own childlike dreams. We often associate Halloween with evil; though that can sometimes be a part of it, there are lots of other good aspects to associate with the celebration too. We may not notice, but it’s a holiday that brings lots of people together, whether it be for parties, trick or treating, or just generally going out into our communities. We’ve established our own personal twist to the holiday while keeping the overall integrity of Halloween the same across the nation.

It fits every “requirement” of being a holiday, yet we are still expected to go to work or school instead of simply staying at home with our families and enjoying the fun that is Halloween. I’m not saying it deserves a full week, but there are certainly scarier ideas than taking a night of frights off.

Hi I'm Autumn, I'm from Lancaster South Carolina not too far from Charleston.I'm a freshman this year at CofC. My major is leaning towards Computing in the Arts. I enjoy laughing, A LOT, I also enjoy attempting to make others laugh. I'm a bit of an optimist so I try to take that and use it to make life a little better each day.